Easiest reg to work on

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sherwood any model plain and simple, parts are cheap they're simple to assemble as well as many resources are available to help service them.

Alex

Any unbalanced piston "flow by" first stage like the Scubapro Mk 2, Mk 3, Mk 200, or Mk 2 Plus or the US Divers/Aqualung Calypso.

Downstream unbalanced second stages are all pretty similar and all pretty simple to work on. The Scubapro High Performance, R190, and R380/390 all fall into that category as well as all the US Divers/Aqualung Conshelf, SE, SEA, Pro Diver, Pioneer and Aquarius second stages.

Both Scubapro and US Divers/Aqulung have an excellent history of providing parts support for their regs for decades, so for an older model, both companies are virtually a sure bet for having parts available. Despite parts controls and restrictions, annual service kits for regs from both companies show up on e-bay on a regular basis.

I have to admit that the Conshelf is braindead easy, too. Both the Calypso and the Conshelf series make a regular showing on ebay.

In this vein, I was thinking about getting an older USD piston reg to go with my pile of Conshelfs. As I understand it, both the Aquarius and the Calypso are piston regs. If you were looking to rebuild them both as a learning exercise and as a backup reg, which would it be?

Note: the collector in me will eventually demand that I own at least one of both, but which one should be the first?

If you are collecting regulators, there are a number of versions of the Calypso regulator. The older versions (Calypso 6, Calypso J, etc) are almost impossible to get the high pressure seats for. The newer Calypso is the updated unbalanced piston similar to the old Aquarius regulators of olf (mid 70's). If somebody has access to high pressure seats for the old Claypso I have two 6's and 1 J I wold like to repair.

eelpout:
If you are collecting regulators, there are a number of versions of the Calypso regulator. The older versions (Calypso 6, Calypso J, etc) are almost impossible to get the high pressure seats for. The newer Calypso is the updated unbalanced piston similar to the old Aquarius regulators of olf (mid 70's). If somebody has access to high pressure seats for the old Claypso I have two 6's and 1 J I wold like to repair.

So I assume that this kit is for the newer Calypso?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16056&item=7121105606&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V

If so, does this kit work with the older Aquarius model?

Evans:
What make/models of regs do people think are the easiest to work on/least expensive to work on/easiest to get parts for and such?

DiveRite RG1200's without a doubt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Easy to work on, tune, or rebuild. Plus they are truly great, bomb-proof reg's that are affordable. As an added bonus, copies of their service manuals and re-build parts can be easily obtained.

I haven't had my first stage apart(mares v32) but I have had the second apart(proton ice) and it's fairly simple. It doesn't have a tuning knob, so this cuts down on the moving parts. I really like mine!!

Sherwoods are by far the easiest to look after, even changing HP seats on the beach etc.

Since "easiest reg to work" implies access to documentation and non-scrounged repair parts, I have to agree with OWSI176288 on the Dive Rites. You can get factory manuals AND rebuild parts without all the nonsense that other makes put you through.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom