Easiest current Scubapro 1st and 2nd stage to DIY repair?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are correct, in Europe it is easy to find service kits for all brands of scuba equipment because some countries laws (eg Germany, Switzerland, France) require manufacturers to allow the sale of parts and service kits to consumers.

Unfortunately, that is not true in the USA, or also in some other countries in Europe. It is more difficult to source parts and official service kits for Scubapro there.

Adjusting the Intermediate Pressure on an Apeks, Deep 6 or Hog (or almost any other) diaphragm first stage after DIY servicing requires only a few turns with a Hex key (or screwdriver), and it is much much easier than trying to bring a MK10 (or any piston regulator using shims) to within specification. You don't have to completely dis-assemble the regulator to add or remove shims and then re-assemble, sometimes a number of times.

The quote below is an example of what I mean ...

(Sorry @rsingler ... for using your quote to support diaphragm regs ... :rofl3:)

PS: I also own and self-service MK10s, MK5s, Apeks, a couple Conshelfs and my favourite trim weight, the Supra.

Perfect. It sounds like I'm looking for an older diaphragm 1st stage regulator, and diaphragm 2nd stage regulator from Scubapro (the dealers I've ran into in Guam, Palau, and other dive locations around the world, only support/stock/sell/repair/service and have parts for Scubapro whether I like it or not.)

Thank you for helping me.

For current, high performing, both MK11 and 17 are simple. For second stage a G260 is pretty simple.

Personally I use Apeks first stage and Conshelf seconds. When I had money it was G260 and G250 second stages. A G250 is very simple, reliable and high performing. I don't like piston first stages personally.

I can get kits for anyone if you want/need them but this damn virus has, amongst more serious issues, slowed shipping down to a snails pace.

If buying new, I would suggest a MK17+G260+R195. This is what I suggested to a colleague of mine who was purchasing his first reg set, having be certified AOW in 2019, and planning to do some specialities (including Deep) this summer.
If that damn COVID-19 will allow us to go to sea again...
If buying used, I would stay with MK10+G250. Or, if you prefer diaphragm, MK11+G250.
In general I do not like the idea that piston regs are unsealed, and that silt or sand can go inside causing problems. But the MK10 is probably the only SP piston 1st stage which can be completely environmentally sealed (if you manage to find or build the required rubber SPEC boot):
20200330-111534.jpg

They "locked" our beach but no one seems to care. Diving car park is separate to the one in the photo and most often never more than 2-3 solo divers. Looks like I'm diving tomorrow, sorry to all those who cannot. If you look closely you can see a lot of people fishing too. Business as usual it seems. Fortunately/unfortunately here there are no laws to enforce lockdown so people do as they wish. I dive around the pier in the first photo.

D9693EAF-0329-4FA5-83FF-D68B33360F46.jpeg
B2AC6B86-8370-4209-9CB6-B8156D007DA4.jpeg

If buying new, I would suggest a MK17+G260+R195. This is what I suggested to a colleague of mine who was purchasing his first reg set, having be certified AOW in 2019, and planning to do some specialities (including Deep) this summer.
If that damn COVID-19 will allow us to go to sea again...
If buying used, I would stay with MK10+G250. Or, if you prefer diaphragm, MK11+G250.
In general I do not like the idea that piston regs are unsealed, and that silt or sand can go inside causing problems. But the MK10 is probably the only SP piston 1st stage which can be completely environmentally sealed (if you manage to find or build the required rubber SPEC boot):
View attachment 583776

Exactly the advice I was looking for.
I have decided on purchasing a new Scubapro MK17+G260+R195 combo.
Also, I will buy the same set used (ebay/craigslist) so that I can open up and learn on the older, cheaper, used set before I open my new set from factory.

Thank you very much for spending the time, and for providing this information, from your years of experience.

You can get tools from these guys.

Scuba Clinic Tools

I can help with parts and service manuals.

Feel free to message me if you wish.

Hello,

I need 3 service manuals for a Scubapro MK17+G260+R195.
Also, I need to purchase a service kit for the MK17, G260, and R195 regulators (3 kits total). Do you have good pricing?

Thank you!

In the last 40 years I never had problems purchasing original service kits for SP regs.
Regarding simplicity, performances, reliability, and being currently fully supported (official service kit listed on catalog) I warmly suggest MK10+G250.
But you are in Italy, not the USA, much easier there because of different EU and US rules.

But you are in Italy, not the USA, much easier there because of different EU and US rules.
Not really. I get my parts from @buddhasummer & Store | Vintage Double Hose

I'm in agreement with other posters in this thread who recommend the OP forget about currently produced regulators if he is going to DIY. Purchase regulators that have a history of dependability, are not too difficult to self service, and have a dependable supply of parts. I'm sure there are others, but right off the top of my head one could buy several of the following for the price of one new kit.

MK10, Titan, Conshelf, Apeks first stages
ScubaPro Balanced Adjustable/G250/109 second stages

I responded via PM, but since the thread is here.

I would question the claims of the R195 being the most reliable regulator in the world...
The mk25 is certainly not the easiest to repair of the lot, the MK2 takes that crown, then probably the MK17. MK25 is probably the most complicated of their first stages to service.
The G260 is probably second most complicated behind the S600, but it would take me longer to service a R195 than a G260 since I'm much more familiar with that style of valve design.

My argument against what you're talking about for global service is this.
Reg fails during assembly of dive 1. You abort dive 1, have to cancel dive 2, race to the dive shop, pay out the ass to get it serviced ahead of schedule *regulators are most prone to failure immediately after service*, and then pray that it's done before you have to get on the dive boat in the morning. Add to that, that liveaboards don't have service techs on board, and you may be at an Aqualung dive center that doesn't service Scubapro.

The solution? The cost to rush service a regulator, plus the cost of losing the second dive means you have 3 options.
1. deal with rental regulators-adds cost, not necessarily your preferred reg setup, and if you have concerns about cleanliness, then it's dubious
2. carry a spare 1st and 2nd stage. This is what I do. Regs should go in carryon/personal item anyway which aren't normally weighed, so you can sneak them in with no problem. More expensive up front, but if one fails, you aren't missing any dives since it takes less than 5 minutes to move the hoses over to a first stage, and less than 2 mins to swap a second stage.
3. carry the kits and the tools to self-service yourself. Scubapro first stages require a few specialty tools to deal with. Apeks style regulators require a couple of allen keys, an adjustable wrench, a pin spanner, an o-ring pick, and an IP gauge. All but the pin spanner should be in your save a dive kit that you travel with anyway.

I go for a combo of options 2 and 3. I carry a spare 1st/2nd when I travel, and then I also carry a parts kit for each stage as well. They're small and light, and easy enough to deal with.

If you are bound up on Scubapro, I'd scout around on here, and buy a MK25 G2xx regulator set, then grab a MK2/R195 or something that are small and cheap. Don't buy new Scubapro regs, waste of money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom