Easier SMB Deployment???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dropping 20' of line form 15-20' works over a 40' bottom. Why would anyone bother with a safety stop from a 40' dive?
If I am doing a drift dive and find myself away from the dive flag holder, I will immediately shoot a bag from depth. I want the boat to know my general where-a-bouts as soon as possible. I've even had to tie in a second spool to maintain depth twice.

Loose line in the water is always a BAD idea. Keep it taut at all times.

What kind of spool are you using, akimbo?...

It is the smallest spool I could find. It is injection molded, probably ABS — about the same weight as Delran. It isn’t very heavy at all but does sink like in SangP’s video:

… I have dropped them, and either I or one of my teammates has been able to recover them before they unspooled very much…

Teammates? Silly girl, have you forgotten who you are talking to. :wink: (solo diver here)

… I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the set of circumstances that would require a very occasional and unskilled diver to deploy a bag underwater, and from a shallow enough depth to use the described technique…

Me too:
…Granted, they generally don’t need to shoot an SMB for a safety stop… but at least these divers seemed compelled to...

But they do it anyway. I suppose they were paranoid about safety stops and drifting too far from the boat — sort of hard to do in a kelp forest.

…I really don't want to sound any more dismissive than I am, but in my world, we have a saying, "an equipment solution to a technique problem," with the implication that, rather than change your gear, you should improve your skills. People who can't shoot a bag really should avoid situations where doing so is a safety requirement -- stay with the guide with the float, or the guide who is going to shoot the bag, or stay on the anchor line on ascent.

I don’t see it as dismissive, but it does not seem to be the reality. A lot of new divers are convinced they well get bent if they don’t do what their computer says. They are also overly paranoid of being lost a sea… OK it gets foggy here but not that bad.

I am not sure that “change your gear” is valid since they are not tech divers. What practical reason does anyone have for using a 100' spool that isn’t on a rebreather or looking like this guy?

TechDivingMag-Fig11.jpg

Honesty, a decompression obligation below 20' is some pretty serious diving. Why should the vast majority adopt a 100' spool as their standard? We’re talking about people who will probably never see their computer in the red unless it is their fifth reped on a liveaboard.

If I am doing a drift dive and find myself away from the dive flag holder, I will immediately shoot a bag from depth. I want the boat to know my general where-a-bouts as soon as possible. I've even had to tie in a second spool to maintain depth twice.

Loose line in the water is always a BAD idea. Keep it taut at all times.

Agreed and fair enough… for divers with lots of hours on their clock. I would think new and infrequent divers would be better advised to abort the dive. However, you are in a better position to judge, I have ever been in serious currents with a boatload of newbies.

I agree, this is what I use-- Webbing Deployment System-WDS

Surface Marker WDS - surfacemarker.com

I find that webbing is nearly as tangle-prone as 1/8"+ line. I think I would prefer re-spooling a reel than making up that webbing pack. Can you “re-load” that bundle in the water?

I think white arrow spools deploy themselves.. the button next to the gyro stabilizer and tractor beam knob. Until they make the titanium model with led yoyo lights I'm not buying one tho.

Deploying bags is a fun event and its a shootout everytime we do it.

Close, except using a shorter line that is completely unwound before inflating. My thought is to avoid any potential jamming and re-spooling more than is needed.

Too much line free floating around the diver for me. Too easy to get entangled in that mess and go for a ride you don't want.

I tried a similar rig when starting out. I epoxied a couple ounces of lead into the spool so the line would drop down and not float around loosely. But, if the water was not deep enough to allow the line to hang straight, it could still be a problem.

I ended up going back to the more common method of holding the spool while I aired up the bag. This leaves with more depth options in deploying the DSMB.

I started out with about 20' of line on my SMB, figuring I'd shoot from safety stop depth and no worries. Then I found I didn't like the way the line was stored so I went to a 100' spool. I have no need of that much line, though, so I think I'll be keeping the spool but replace with shorter, heavier line, hopefully to prevent any possible tangle issues. So far, nothing's gotten tangled, but I don't have the skill down, yet, either. I've only shot my bag about 6 times though and still need a lot of practice.

Why should the vast majority adopt a 100' spool as their standard?

Because the vis is crap and the wreck is 300' long. Or it is at 130', and the mooring broke (again)..... Both of these have played a role in the past for selection.... It is more than a line for the SMB....

Then again, I survived 20 years of diving without having one..... but then came my finding of ScubaBoard..... :rofl3:

I didn’t bother with a clip at all. The larger line seems to stay put better than the “string” so I just shove it into a pocket while it is attached to the rolled bag. Conceivably (thinking out loud) you could just wrap the line around rolled bag, maybe with a large washer or small fishing weight tied to the end. The spool itself may be unnecessary??? I might try that with ¼"/6mm braided line which is really easy to handle even in mitts or dry gloves. I will probably reduce the length to 20'/6M since the end hangs about a foot deeper with a fully inflated bag.
You could do it that way but a spool is a lot cleaner and will not get tangled in your pocket. even 20 ft of 6mm cord will get tangled sooner or later. Even wrapping it around the bag with a washer for weight will mean you have to un roll it mid water, and while you're busy un rolling, dropping the line, keeping it clear of you and maybe the anchor line, line I've already shot my bag and am watching you for the entertainment value. You're really making it more complicated than it meeds to be - and you'd be stuck with a fixed line length.

If it's a long stop and I want to use both hands, I clip one end of the double ender over the line and through a hole in the spool (which locks the line and prevents it from unspooling - fixing the length of line) then clip the other end of the double ender to a shoulder D-ring, so I can in effect hang from it and use both hands, read a book, whatever.

More importantly, I can ascend part way by rolling line on the spool and locking it off again. With a fixed length line and weight, you'll have to hold the middle of the line with excess line below you, or wad up the excess and try to control it. A spool is just a lot easier all the way around.

I have never had an SMB that stood-up unless I went a little negative and hung on. I don’t understand how bag dynamics changes by having shorter thicker line. I guess the real question is why have all that line unless you are searching and need to mark something (assuming minimal-to-no-D)?
I don't understand your objection? SMBs do nto stand up without some downward pull, as their center of mass is above water and they just tip over. That was the point - if you are a recreational diver and are properly weighted, you will be neutral at the end of the dive with no gas in the wing and 500-700 psi in the tank. If you will really need to make an SMB stand up, you'll need to plan accordingly and wear an extra pound or two of weight.

The size of the SMB does matter as a 6' tall, 90 pound SMB needs a bit more downward pull to stay erect than does a 3' tall, skinny, 10 pound SMB.

I use a 150' safety spool in most cases, because I happen to have it and the size is such that it will roll line back on quickly. A mini-spool with 30-40 ft of line on it is fine for recreational purposes and takes up less space, but they are slower to roll line back on (fewer inches per turn).

SMBs have a purpose based on the dive being done. If I am doing a technical dive, it's not uncommon to shoot a 6' tall 90 pound SMB from 180' of water in the first 30-40 feet of ascent from a wreck. I do that as the boat knows where the wreck is and that's where they'll see an SMB come up so they can follow me on a drift deco. If I am doing deco on the wreck, but can't reach the anchor/ascent line, I'll shoot the bag on the wreck (and in some cases tie into the wreck so I don't drift off). Again, shooting the bag early establishes the ascent line, and lets the boat know I am ascending somewhere other than the anchor line - and tells them whether or not I am drifting at a point when they will see the bag. Doing a drifting deco for a mile before you shoot a bag from a 20' stop would leave your bag a mile down current, where the boat may not even see it, making it harder to recover you.

"Ahhh..but that's technical diving" the OW diver says "I don't need a long line for my SMB because I just do recreational dives". Now, let's say I am *just* doing a recreational dive on a deep recreational depth wreck like the Vandenberg, and since the current is light I swim from the anchor line on the stern all the way to the bow expecting an easy swim back up current. However the current picks up and I realize I can't swim back without both depleting my gas reserve and getting into deco - a really, really bad combination.

So...I start my ascent and drift down current. I'm already a few hundred feet down current of the boat when I start, and I am a few hundred feet farther down current by the time I reach my safety stop depth and shoot the bag. So now I have a 3' recreational bag 600' downstream from the boat in an area where no one is looking. I'd much rather have had a 150' safety spool and shot the bag immediately from the wreck, bringing the bag up closer to the boat, and increasing the chances that someone would have seen it and immediately recognized there was a drifting diver to track and recover, rather than noting it 15 minutes later after the diver count comes up short.

A short SMB line just does not make sense, even if many come with short lines, as a spool is much more practical, easier and safer to handle, and more adaptable to real world situations - even for an OW diver.

I don't think you need 100 feet of line for a spool for an SMB, but below a certain size, the spools are actually harder to handle, at least with cold hands. And I have had occasion to use a spool to do a search pattern for a wreck that wasn't at the bottom of the shot line, or to look for another patch of reef when the viz was too low to see it and we wanted to be able to get back. There are other uses for a 100 foot spool, but unless you drop it, there aren't many downsides to using one for bag shooting.

Akimbo, is it possible that the divers you were watching were shooting bags just for fun, because they knew they needed to practice the skill? On any given day around here, you'd be reasonably likely to run into divers who appear to be doing completely inexplicable things for the dive they are doing, because they're incorporating those things for skills improvement. (The last dive I did here, our max depth was about 60 feet, but we did an ascent, complete with a gas switch to 50% at 30 feet, and a switch back to backgas and stow at 20, just because my buddy wanted to do it.)

Back
Top Bottom