Earthquakes Sulawesi - Halmahera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

7.1 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Off Indonesia Coast

"By The Associated Press

• Nov. 14, 2019Updated 2:04 p.m. ET
JAKARTA, Indonesia — A strong earthquake hit off the Indonesian coast in the Molucca Sea early Friday, prompting a tsunami warning for nearby areas.

The U.S. Geological Survey reported that the magnitude 7.1 quake was centered in the sea about 140 kilometers (86 miles) northwest of Ternate in North Maluku province.

Indonesia’s Meteorology, Climate and Geophysics Agency said the tsunami warning issued for North Sulawesi and North Maluku was cancelled about two hours after the quake hit.

It said a small tsunami of up to 6 centimeters (2.4 inches) occurred in North Maluku’s Ternate city about 26 minutes after the strong quake hit, and 10 centimeters (4 inches) in North Sulawesi’s Bitung town about 51 minutes after the quake.

Authorities have called on residents in North Sulawesi and North Maluku to return to their homes.

The national disaster agency said it was still gathering information on any damage that may have been caused by the earthquake."

Glad to hear you all there are unharmed.

Say hi to Sahaung for me. (Sniff)

We dove it this morning at a slack tide, so the soft coral wasn`t open in all its grandeur. I said hi for you. I see why you and Luko love it so much, the topagaphy is very dramatic. I had my macro lens on since on the second dive we were going for Melebe Colmani, I was glad I did because I got some nice shots of my favorite shrimp the marbled. I also had alot of fun playing with a huge school of yellow striped snapper, which I always enjoy.

IMG_3148.JPG

Here's one of my favorite shots of the colmani (which I'm a big fan of, yet no-one told me they are found here reliably). Sorry about the backscatter I'll have to clean it up later.

IMG_3210.JPG

Where are you staying?

Were there sharks sleeping under the coral table?

I love Sahaung for many reasons, but it's formation, as if it used to be a stone building or monument, really intriques me. Of the course the critters to be found and such a variety of features on one site, are very impressive too. I once saw an octopus moving across horizontally across one of the walls, feeding on munchies it'd found between the boulders. Awesome to watch it stretch out and turn tourquoise, then move on and then again.

I've seen pontohi pygmy seahorses, bumphead parrot fish the size of a Volkswagen and so on and so on.

I'm disappointed for you about the current too. I remember the day that I saw the coral cups come out in a stunning carpet of lush orange. That had been the day that I'd started the dive disappointed because there was current, lol.

Have you managed to see a dugong yet?

@chillyinCanada I did get to dive it when the current was running, the soft coral was really nice all opened up. I even spotted a yellow one which I see so very rarely. We didn't see the sharks sleeping but weren't looking for them, we did see a very shy pontohi. I was most excited about the marbled shrimp since I don't see them very often since I'm usually to tired to do a night dive, and during the day they like to hide in their cave. The guides here a really good and have lots of site knowledge as they new exactly where to find the marbled shrimp. Its really a big site and yes the geology is fascinating and dramatic. No dugong yet, but the boat crew saw one briefly when were were on a dive. I'm staying at Bastianos. It's quite a big resort, the staff are excellent, the food pretty good, the only drawback is during the day when it's hot my A/C struggles to keep it cool enough to grab a nap. It's fine once the sun gets low and in the night, but the dark roof and building really creates a high heat load. I would have gone with a lighter colored roof at least. I've been surprised by number of resorts here that I wasn't even aware of.

@chillyinCanada I did get to dive it when the current was running, the soft coral was really nice all opened up. I even spotted a yellow one which I see so very rarely.
If you ever get back to Sahaung 2 (there are 2 areas or ways of diving the spot, Sahaung 1 is the pinnacle, Sahaung 2 is a right shoulder ride) show him befotre the dive this coral bunch which is at the end of a small wall, and ask him to locate it.
The nicest 4m2 patch of coral anywhere. I guess it's the yellow soft coral you were talking about.

7181414129_72ff2c496f_z.jpg

btw I had never heard about Melibe colemani in Bangka before a couple or years ago (I guess that was when the nudi became popular from Romblon). Never saw any yet.

I was wondering how Bastianos is! How's the food?

Luko, when I say Sahaung, of course, I mean 1&2 and every way you can dive it too!

If memory serves, those aren't the corals that I meant. Too bad I'm not a photographer.

Regardless, your photo so pretty!

I was wondering how Bastianos is! How's the food?

The food is pretty good. For breakfast I'm having pancakes with honey, the pancakes aren`t super fluffy more European style which I like, with my go to of fried eggs on top. Sweet and savory one of my favorites! The thing lacking is good coffee, right now it's either Nescafe instant or the the fine ground dump it in your cup and don't drink the mud on the bottom style. I put a bit of coco powder in it to make it a bit more bearable.

If you ever get back to Sahaung 2 (there are 2 areas or ways of diving the spot, Sahaung 1 is the pinnacle, Sahaung 2 is a right shoulder ride) show him befotre the dive this coral bunch which is at the end of a small wall, and ask him to locate it.
The nicest 4m2 patch of coral anywhere. I guess it's the yellow soft coral you were talking about.

View attachment 550309

btw I had never heard about Melibe colemani in Bangka before a couple or years ago (I guess that was when the nudi became popular from Romblon). Never saw any yet.

Nope that's not the yellow soft coral I spotted, the one in your pic is bigger. When I see yellow ones it always stands out as I see so few. That photo is really nice, I'm working on improving my wide angle but I have a long way to go.

Melibe Colmani first gained my attention about 8 years ago when I saw a photo from a photographer taken at Hot Rocks off Sanegane ( spelled wrong I know).Think it was from a Got Muck special nudibranch trip. And I've been to Romblon a few years ago, where I went for the almost guaranteed sightings. my photos from there arent as good as the ones I took yesterday, now I'm shooting with 2 strobes so I can backlight it also. Yesterday the guide found 5 within 15 minutes here.

Well breakfast time is here and sadly my last 2 dives are this morning.:(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom