Earned my OW referral, and now I have to wait for the ice to clear!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, I am going to share my excitement this past weekend. I finally, after waiting my whole life, was able to take a scuba course, and had a total blast! I had a class of 6(one quit during pool sessions). Everything felt real natural to me and my instructor was great. Until May comes, I really cannot do anything but research about the hobby. I have been spending some time in my LDS and may be able to get some pool time schedule permitting if there are some small classes, so I hope that I can do that until my OW dives. I used my own BCD (AL Axiom i3) in the course, so I was familiar with it, and found that it was not really designed for use without an exposure suit/more weights, as it rode quite high on me when positively buoyant and pushed me forward. So, I am going to get myself a dedicated pool suit to combat that and work on my weighting/trimming. I have researched my upcoming gear purchases and come May, I should be set! I have not been this excited about anything in a very long time, and look forward to more training and seeing what I have never seen before!

-Trance

Add a crotch strap to your jacket BC and that will cure the problem. I have an Aeris EX100 and it would ride up on the surface. I added the crotch strap and the problem went away. The BC stays put. Also, put some of your weight in the trim pockets and that will help with the "face forward" situation. I keep 2 to 3 pounds in each trim pocket and I am well stabilized on the surface.

I hope this helps. Good luck and good diving. If you're ever in my neck of the woods, drop me a line. We might be able to get in a couple of dives.

Congratulation on taking the first step. I second what Spectrum has suggested as it will get your muscles used to finning and you will become more comfortable in the water.

Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom