Early FFM - can someone ID?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

they are still available. I bought a new one last year....
I was going to say that as well. I considered this briefly when shopping for a FFM last year. I decided to go with another brand instead, but my LDS definitely sells this - or something that looks extremely similar. Scubapro branded.

I decided to go with another brand instead, but my LDS definitely sells this - or something that looks extremely similar. Scubapro branded.

FYI: The Scubapro FFM is a very different mask, and a few times more expensive.

upload_2018-7-24_13-14-8.png

That's gotta be some coin with the SP name on it.... Definitely an upgrade too.....

That's gotta be some coin with the SP name on it.... Definitely an upgrade too.....

The Cressi/IST mask in less than $100 US in rubber and the Scubapro is pushing $700. It is still a mouth-only breather but is adaptable to comms. IMO, there are much better options for the same or less money. The IST is hard to beat for many applications like OxTox or anoxia security.

Further historical dating information about masks mentioned earlier:

Cressi Pinocchio
1LuigiFerraro_0.preview.jpg

According to Pinocchio Mask | Luigi Ferraro, the Cressi Pinocchio mask was designed in 1952 by Luigi Ferraro, pictured above wearing one. He is also credited with the invention of Cressi Rondine full-foot fins.

Cressi-Healthways Full Face Mask
FFM.jpg

The above appeared in the 1959 Divemaster catalogue, so this model predated the 1960s by at least a year. Healthways was Cressi's distributor in the USA and the Italian company may have produced some items of gear, e.g. Rondine fins with ankle straps, exclusively for the American market. The "Scuba" Full Face Mask isn't in the 1955 Cressi catalogue and the earliest reference to it in the Cressi literature I have access to is dated 1966:
Cressi-FFM.jpg

And here's what other companies were supplying in the way of scuba-ready full-face masks in the 1950s:

UK: Siebe-Gorman Full Face Mask (1955?)
FFM.jpg

This model first appeared in London sporting-goods store Lillywhites 1955 catalogue.

UK: Heinke Full Face Mask (1958?)
FFM.jpg

This model first appeared in London sporting-goods store Lillywhites 1958 catalogue.

USA: US Divers Natascope Mask (1955)

FFM.jpg

First appeared in the 1955 US Divers catalogue.

USA: US Divers "Look-Out" Full Face Mask (1958)
FFM_2.jpg

First appeared in US Divers 1958 catalogue.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom