Ear problem, Not a scuba diver yet, lots of questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fauzool

Registered
Reaction score
I signed up for scuba lessons. When practicing descending in a 9ft pool I found I had problems equalizing my ears, I eventually was able to equalize. Now when we descend again I started to have pain in my ear I could not equalize the pain I also was hearing noises out of my ear and felt like water was dripping down throat. Once on the surface the pain in ear was still there( not horrible pain or any thing, just not normal. At the time instruct told me to leave the pool. As I write this still discomfort pain I my left ear feels like water is still in it too.

What is happening?
What can cause this? Not equalizing properly?
When I was a baby I also had tubes put in my ears. Could this prevent me from diving?
A week ago the doctor had to irrigate my ears due to the build up of wax during irrigation of my left ear when she squirted water in the ear sometimes it made me jump.
Should I see the doctor for this?

Should I see the doctor for this?

Short answer: Yes

Long answer: Yes, you should see an ENT doctor (not a GP) before trying to dive again. Especially if you have a history of ear tubes, you could have a small residual eardrum perforation. There are exercises that you can try to improve ventilation, but given what you wrote, you should be checked out before trying those.

Feel free to PM me with your location and I may be able to give you a local referral.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom