Ear Pressure and Fullness days after dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Went on 2 dives on Monday (today is Friday) first dive was about 10' the second about 30' It seemed like I needed to equalize a lot an maybe at times felt like I was forcing it. At one point I felt a slight amount of pressure/pain but I equalized and it went away. After the dives I felt like I had water in my right ear because of a feeling of fullness and muffled hearing. Days later now it really doesn't see, to be water, at times yesterday it would feel like the ear would pop and the go right back to being muffled. It hasn't hurt at all it's just uncomfortable and I feel like I want to force it to pop and I'm still having trouble hearing. I have to fly home tomorrow and I made an ENT appointment for Monday morning. From looking at the info online I assume I have maybe middle ear barotrauma? I'm just wondering what if anything I can do to prevent further irritation while flying or anything I can do to alleviate the symptoms. Also wondering who else has suffered with this and what the recovery/prognosis is. This was my first time diving and I'm now worried about permanent damage/hearing loss. Any input would be helpful. Thanks and happy diving!

#1 Call DAN. Even if you're not a member, call. 1-919-684-9111.

I've had similar issues over the years. Usually clears up with a medrol dose pack and/or other meds following an ENT visit. Maker sure the Doc know the full background of what you've been doing.

I've had middle ear barotrauma two or three times. Seeing an ENT is the right course of action. Each time, the ENT fixed me right up without anything more invasive than ear drops and time. Full recovery each time. It's probably the number one most common diving injury.

It does, indeed, sound like middle ear barotrauma. At this point, there isn't a great deal you can do about it. Various strategies are recommended, but there are few data to support any being particularly effective. You can try a decongestant like Sudafed, or even try chewing gum (to encourage drainage from the Eustachian tube). An anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen may be helpful if there is still any swelling of the Eustachian tube, but none of these interventions has actually been shown to shorten the course of symptoms.

Thanks for the input, I figured from browsing this forum barotrauma was the likeliest culprit. My biggest concern is damaging it further by flying before I can get to my doctor and the possibility of permanent hearing loss

---------- Post added May 10th, 2014 at 08:55 AM ----------

I am just starting to get concerned because my hearing hasn't improved yet and it's been about 5 days, is it normal for this feeling of fullness and hearing loss to last this long? I'm reading about potential permanent hearing loss related to scuba diving and it has me stressing out a bit.

Mild cases often resolve in shorter periods. With muffled hearing for this long, consultation with a physician is a good idea.

Yes, I agree, I will be seeing my ENT ASAP on Monday. I guess I am just looking for as much peace of mind as possible; I found a few threads on here related that discuss long-term sudden hearing loss. Obviously no way to tell over the internet, just wanted to see if others have had difficulty hearing after a dive and what the prognosis was

I know it's ridiculous talking about a 1.6 meters dive, but that is what I'm at as a guy who's actually learning to swim.. :).

I have had sudden hearing loss to my left ear -and then partially recovered-, so anything concerning hearing makes me a bit worried and that's why I was wearing a ear plug... On my left ear.

My right ear though now feels full and yesterday right after the "dives" had some bigger issues hearing -like for example, scratching my head felt like it was empty and had a feeling of "fullness" and heavy steps resonated a bit-.
Today is better, but still feels full and from yesterday evening I could feel "movements" in my ear when I shake my head or hang with my head upside down.

I have a history of wax build up, which makes me think might be somewhat related (I remember other times having the feeling of "stuff moving around in my ear").
Do you think you can actually have a barotrauma at less than 2 meters depths?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom