Ear plugs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simbrooks

Snr LayZboy Meteorologist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I searched around a bit on here and online for some ear plugs to use when diving. The only things mentioned were either the Proear mask (not going to touch that one, just seems too weird to me) and Doc's Proplugs. The kind of plugs i am looking for are meant for diving, protect most of the ear from infection (or at least water with stuff in it from sloshing around as much in the ear), but still allow a little water (and therefore water pressure) to allow for equalisation. I have been having some ear problems lately with infections from the recent hurricane activity filling our caves up with nasties that are still washing out. Many seem to have found hoods useful for preventing a lot of water sloshing around - i may bring mine back into service, but i just dont like wearing hoods (i know i'll have to get used to it in time with caves and going to more cold places again in the future) and was looking for alternatives. Are there any other products out there on the market?

simbrooks, most plugs are not reccommended because of the risk of outer ear barotrauma, but there is a type of plug that is like a type of soft silicone that is maleable like plasticine. They may work, but you may find that you need a cork screw to get them out..

If I were you, I would put olive oil in your ears from an ear dropper before the dive, this will keep the water out, then clean them after with hydrogen peroxide or some alcohol after the dive..

simbrooks:
Many seem to have found hoods useful for preventing a lot of water sloshing around - i may bring mine back into service, but i just dont like wearing hoods
You could try a beanie, prevents some of the water slosh and not as unpleasant as a hood.

Simbrooks, if you check the DAN website you'll find all kinds of good information about ear problems.

One of the things they recommend is to soak your ears for 5 minutes each with a solution to prevent the natural bacteria in the ear from causing problems before the first dive of the day and after the last dive of the day.

You can get a prescription for the solution, or, you can use a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and rubbing alchohol.

I was having the same kind of problems you are describing and have not had a problem since I started following DAN's advice.

I checked DAN, have my little mix, and my hood (considered a beenie, might again one day) but had heard of these plugs that some say really helped. I still got infections even using the drops, hence my desire for something more pro-active during the dive - might try olive oil and the hood (again).

Oh well, it was an idea. :D

simbrooks:
I searched around a bit on here and online for some ear plugs to use when diving. The only things mentioned were either the Proear mask (not going to touch that one, just seems too weird to me) and Doc's Proplugs.
Like i said :wink:

So it looks like i have a few options, but nothing out of the ordinary or new since these last few threads were put up (some over a year old) on this kind of subject? I will test a few things out, see what works, thanks for your help folks.

the Doc's Pro Plugs work great, You have to order the ones designed for Diving, they have a samll pin hole in the center of the part that goes in your outer ear canal. the purpose it not to have the Lake / Ocean water directly slamming against your ear drum, instead it lets the water in slowly...drip by drip which in turn makes it easier to equalize and plus you dont have the cold water against your ear drum. you ear will warm up the drips a little.....Trust me I have used them as well as a few students that have had ear problems.

This is a personal testimony for generic otic domeboro solution (see the DAN article) and Doc's Proplugs (proplugs.com). I do a lot of diving...a lot! Used to have sore/creaky ears after multiple days of multiple dives and the occasional ear infection. Since religiously using 2% acetic acid in an aqueous aluminum acetate solution (aka generic otic domeboro) and wearing the proplugs, I no longer have any ear problems. A couple of years ago, we did an around the world dive trip and after seven weeks of diving my ears were in great shape. The combination works for me.

For unexplainable reasons, you need a prescription for the generic otic domeboro. If you don't want to ask your MD for script, a solution of half white vinegar - half distilled water is a great substitute. Avoid home brews with alcohol and/or hydrogen peroxide.

Also, don't put anything in your ear smaller than your elbow. Avoid cleaning your ears too much - the cerumen (earwax) helps protect the ear canal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom