Ear Drops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba-sass

Wreckmaniac Extrordinaire
Reaction score
The following is a quote from "Buff" on another thread:

"I think this brings up the importance of good ear care. My wife- a phycian and former competitive swimmer- is a big, big, big, advocate of using ear drops after diving. Her recommendation-originaly from an ENT- is a 50% rubbing alcohol and 50% vinegar solution. "

I thought this might make an interesting thread.

Do you use ear drops regularly?
When?
What's your formulae?

Happy Diving!

Scuba-sass :)

Ear drops are particularly important after fresh water dives (my experience is that there must be lots more critters & fungi & such that can cause earache in fresh water than in salt water).
I use a "homebrew" of 50% isopropyl alcohol (91% vice "rubbing alcohol" which is 70%), 25% vinegar and 25% hydrogen peroxide.
I use it after most dives, and definitely at the end of each diving day.
Rick

Yo

Normally the outer ears are a bit acid. When swimming/diving the ears become basic (pH>7), giving free way to critters, fungi and bacteria :wink: External ear inflamation (otitis externa for intimi) is the result. Using the mixture after diving keeps the ear environment acid, keeping the bad bugs away.

See also this thread

Bye

Jorgen

A doctor told my instructor that using alcohol in your ears regularly drys them out and they do not produce wax properly, causing more problems. She swims a lot and was using an alcohol/vinegar mix to clean her ears. She now recommends we make up a small bottle consisting of 1/3 white vinegar and 2/3 water with a just a little bit of alcohol to dry the ear. It works well for me, I've found that it works even better when I leave it in my ear for 5 minutes. I just lay down and fill one ear then 5 minutes later dump the liquid out, turn on my other side and fill the other ear.
Ber :bunny:

HI ScubaSASS,

I know this mixture Ber mentions... it's what we Brit's put on our Fish and Chips:p (so if you ever see Ber with fries in her ears, it wasn't me).

The othere culinary delight I got from an Italian ENT Doctor was 'Warm olive oil' for those unfortunate divers who get hard wax (Yuk) in their ears. Have you heard of this one Chef

=-) ......... I mean Doc:doctor: ?

Aquamore:)

Originally posted by erich
Question: What type of vinegar?
Why, Apple Cider of course :)
Really, it doesn't make much difference from a therapeutic standpoint. The vinegar (5% acetic acid) is there to lower the pH out of the acceptable range for fungi & such to take hold. Most folks use plain white vinegar since it doesn't have any exotic aromas other than the acetic acid, and won't stain things like red wine vinegar might.
Rick

Here in the Netherlands one can by these drips. They consist of some acid and something paraffin. It is a bit like thin oil, hydrophobic i guess. I can buy it in the local dive shop.

I got something, prescribed by the guy with the stethoscope. It consists of acid (vinegar acid) and 'propyleenglycol'. Sounds like some alcoholic stuff to me.

Bye

Jorgen

Hi there my old Nederlaanse Buddy ScubaJorgen,

Can you remember who makes it? If you can find out who the manufacturer is I think I can find it probably in Zeeland or the large dive shop in Rotterdam.

The reason I ask is I have a certain student who is a hypochondriac (spelling?) and I would like to get him some.....

.............JUST INCASE!

:D
Aquamore

One source of propylene glycol might be a winemaker. Some Italians, who are probably still doing time, used it to dilute their product a few years back. Alternately, find some old wine and pour it in your ears. (laughing)

Congrats to the royal couple; Willem and Alexandra!

Back
Top Bottom