Ear aches 24 hours after dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

khacken

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have recently been getting ear aches about 24 hours after diving. The dives are in freshwater with an average depth of 20 feet. While diving, I do not have discomfort in the ear and equalize as often as possible on the descent, and even pre-equalize on the the surface. The ear aches are not severe, and will go away within 24 hours. I do not have ringing and the ears to do feel "stuffed up".

What is the best way to prevent this? Does anything over the counter help?

khacken:
I have recently been getting ear aches about 24 hours after diving. The dives are in freshwater with an average depth of 20 feet. While diving, I do not have discomfort in the ear and equalize as often as possible on the descent, and even pre-equalize on the the surface. The ear aches are not severe, and will go away within 24 hours. I do not have ringing and the ears to do feel "stuffed up".

What is the best way to prevent this? Does anything over the counter help?
I use those drying ear drops (mostly alcohol) after every dive just as a precaution. You may have some water or dampness that causes an earache.

Works for me....

Ahh cool, I had heard about that stuff, and was just leary. Seemed too easy hahah. Sometimes the best solutions are the easiest.

I have that same problem diving fresh water due to bacteria in the water. I simply rinse my ears out with bottled water after the dive and it seems to have made the problem go away the last couple of years.

Back
Top Bottom