E-PL1 w/9-18 & Inon Wet Macro Lens?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greenbriel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi folks,

Can I do decent (i.e. at least 1:1) macro with the Oly 67mm adapter and Inon wet lenses (stacked if needed) while using the 9-18 lens, or only the 14-42 kit lens? I bought the camera in the 14-150 kit, so I don't have the standard kit lens.

I am probably going to get the zen dome for the 9-18, but the flexibility of occasionally putting the stock port on and getting (reduced FOV) wide, plus macro with the wet lenses, would be nice.

Thanks!

I must report that 67mm adapters will badly vignette on the standard port for anything less than 35mm so you can forget about using the 9-18mm. You can get about 1:1 with the Epoque lens or stacked Inon lens on the standard port and kit lens at 42mm (the old one though)...

Andrea

Thanks Andrea, great info.

Why do you specify the old kit lens? I was considering buying the new kit lens when the E-PL2 comes out, that should also work OK above 35mm, right?

I think I would also buy the EPL2 and the new lens.
However if you care more about macro the old kit lens maybe better for you: in some tests I have seen it shows a bit better detail than the new lens. And although this is probably not a big difference in practical terms you should know that at 42mm the old lens has 20 cm close focus capability vs 25cm on the new kit lens.
Maybe you can buy the epl2 and the more useful 9-18mm wide angle lens and a macro lens (Olympus is coming out with one soon).

More good info, thanks Andrea.

I'm not considering getting the E-PL2, I only bought my E-PL1 a few weeks ago (grr), and don't feel like taking the loss on eBay, plus buying the new housing etc. I have the 9-18, the 14-150, the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 (my favorite on land, vignettes a little bit in the housing with stock port), and the $80 Magic SLR f1.7 35mm manual security camera lens with M43 mount.

If my wife gets into underwater shooting (she is inheriting me Canon 780-IS and housing) then maybe I will get the E-PL2 and give her this setup down the line. It would be handy to be able to share lenses and domes. I may well just skip the 14-42 and wait for the Oly macro, just impatient :)

More good info, thanks Andrea.

I'm not considering getting the E-PL2, I only bought my E-PL1 a few weeks ago (grr), ... I have the 9-18, the 14-150, the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 (my favorite on land, vignettes a little bit in the housing with stock port), and the $80 Magic SLR f1.7 35mm manual security camera lens with M43 mount.

First, I just don't see any major improvements in the camera, but the 14-42 type II lens is nicer because it focuses faster. This lens is OK for macro, with a close-up filter inside the housing. I think the E-PL1 is a bargain now as it is being discontinued and sold used. The housing may become scarce though, they do after discontinuance. Maybe that's sour grapes cuz I have the E-PL1....

I am intrigued by your security cam lens. I guess wide angle lenses can just be left at infinity and they are pretty much in focus? Was it C mount? And you just got an m43 adapter somewhere? Very intriguing so tell us more. How are the pics? Was it this one:
SLR Magic 35 1.7 Lens review on the Sony NEX-5 | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

I was thinking of trying something like this with the manual focus 8mm lenses that are all over for about $250 (Korean made under Samyang, Phoenix, Vivitar and other brands, same lens). But I'm pretty sure it would not fit the housing, but maybe the 10Bar or ??:
835NK Pro-Optic 8mm f/3.5 Manual Focus, Fish Eye Lens with Nikon Mount.

Attachments

• pro835nk.jpg
    pro835nk.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 121
Hey there,

The lens at Steve Huff's site looks like the exact same lens, but they sell a version with the M43 already attached. I like the images it takes - it gets a bit soft around the edges, but as I bought the thing to shoot wide open anyway, it doesn't bother me. Took a while to arrive and it looks like he upped the price $20 but dropped the shipping $10 since I got mine. Definitely worth having for the price. I think.

SLR Magic 35mm f/1.7 MC lens for EP1 EP2 EPL1 GF1 G1 G2 - eBay (item 250673066577 end time Feb-21-11 19:35:36 PST)

Agree that 8mm doesn't look like it would fit, at least with the stock port. Wonder if it would go behind the Zen? I gotta stop getting new lenses for a while, those strobes need a-buying!

I must report that 67mm adapters will badly vignette on the standard port for anything less than 35mm so you can forget about using the 9-18mm. You can get about 1:1 with the Epoque lens or stacked Inon lens on the standard port and kit lens at 42mm (the old one though)...

Is that 35mm post-crop? Because the 9-18mm is like 18-36mm equivalent after the crop factor...

I guess wide angle lenses can just be left at infinity and they are pretty much in focus?

That's close to my experience with the Zuiko 8mm fisheye lens. I actually use two focus settings, one for infintiy for classic wide angle shots, and one for macro-wide-angle shots. If I had to leave the lens at one focal length, that wouldn't be a problem for me. It takes so long to reposition the strobes that I don't like switching between CFWA and WA that frequently anyway.

Back
Top Bottom