E-PL1 vs E-PL2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't forget that pl2 has larger display and twice display resolution in comparison to pl1..
There is a "magnify" button on both cameras that works too.
A higher resolution display is wasted on my eyes underwater :)
If I was starting out, the PL2 is the way to go, but doesn't seem like an attractive upgrade option if you already have a housing.

I guess it's a judgment call. To me, the E-PL2 is an E-PL1 with new label. I just don't think the small incremental benefit is worth the cost. I'd rather invest that cost difference in the Zen dome, the 50 macro or other goodies.

Great thread for info, thanks! The above is basically what I am trying to decide. I don't actually need it till May, so maybe I will wait another month for more users of the PL2 to post their experience. The faster focus seems like a bonus for an UW photographer though.

The mirrorless cameras are being upgraded even faster than current DSLR's so the prices will drop quickly. The upgrade of camera and housing is not near as costly as with a DSLR. I would be looking to build your system around the best lenses you can afford. You will upgrade camera and housing at some point. The E-PL2 offers the best lens choice because of the increase in speed and the camera has a better screen which should allow you to see more detail when you compose your image. In other words you should be able to better see if your image is in focus.

Phil Rudin

I bought the E-PL1 with the 14-150 zoom lens (not for UW use, obviously), and just bought the mk. II kit lens. I *think* there is a kit with the 9-18 also, which is great UW with the Zen dome port.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom