E-330 focusing issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FLTEKDIVER,

Thank you for your feedback and the great pics! It is interesting that you mention focusing issues with the 50mm macro lens because that is exactly what I experienced. On this recent trip I used this lens for the first time and was surprised by the number of times the cam couldn't focus. Interestingly, I noticed another thing that I observed in some of my shots, too: The Moray eel has a thin outline of washed-out blue around its silhouette, especially along the jawline. I wonder what causes that? Maybe chromatic aberration caused by the port?

Sure thing, glad to help with the little I do know so far :)

You really have to learn using the 50mm lens above land, before trying to use it below. All though the 50mm lens is a excellent lens, its not user friendley for the begginer. It took me many attempts to understand the focusing of the lens, before getting good results. Its a tough lens to shoot above land, let alone below water.

I had some trouble, not alot with focusing , using both my primary lens, which is the 50mm lens, which I use a flat port , and the 14-54mm lens which Is housed in the 8" dome port.

I can only tell you from my experiance, the focusing light helped tremendousley. Nocturnal lights is a top notch focusing light, and can be taken off to use as a primary light, beautiful light, and well worth the money.

One issuse for me was, when i kept the lights on the strobes " On " I could not get two full dives with the strobes. When i dive them in TTL, and keep the lights off, and use the focusing light, I can get four - one hour dives in, without switching batteries or charging the strobes batteries.

The thin washed out blue, is exactley right, using the 8" dome, and croping and zooming in, really distorts the pic , which is what was done on the moray.

Here's another Moray eel, that wasn't croped or zoomed in, and theres no distorition. Intresting huh

Attachments

• P9160802_edited-1.jpg
    P9160802_edited-1.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 28
FLTEKDIVER

Are you picking on me and my EBAY camera. [edited by almitywife]. I guess I will stay off Your ScubaBoard

Picking on you ? Ok, what ever you say dude :rofl3:

I have no idea what your talking about,... unless its to your helpless previos post which was :

January 12th, 2008 09:44 PM
gus055 I like shooting with my ( out-of-focus E-330 ) when I just want to take distorted blured photo's.

I would not sell it ,it might be a collector's camera someday. HA HA

But no,I don't pick on people, If I don't like you, I just shut your air off underwater :popcorn:

I was responding to someone pocking fun at one of my E-330's
I was not asking for help with my camera,but many people were giving me advice on what might of been wrong, and I did check my setting for what everyone mentioned

I have no reason to make an enemy of you.
I am glad i don't dive in Florida, I would not want my air turned off

I was responding to someone pocking fun at one of my E-330's
I was not asking for help with my camera,but many people were giving me advice on what might of been wrong, and I did check my setting for what everyone mentioned

I have no reason to make an enemy of you.
I am glad i don't dive in Florida, I would not want my air turned off

Fair enough, my statement was only a shot over your bow, only because calling somone a [edited by almitywife]

As for the air being shut off, it was only a joke. I dont get offended, you can't want everyone to like you on the boards, I was only shooting back to the comment you had made, Good luck with your camera, and don't give up, its a awsome camera, and you'll be happy in the end once you learn which settings work best for you, good luck

I should not have called you [edited by almitywife].
When I read your post I felt as though it was an attack on me.
Some where on here I told of the difference between my two E-330 camera's.The one refurbished will not stay focused in A mode with the 14-54mm. The camera will focus in the U/W Modes. The other E-330 I have will focus in A mode with the same 14-54mm lens. It also focuses in M mode. Recently I learned how to meter the light so now I am ready to try M Mode some more with my non-refurbished E-330.
I will not give up on U/W Photography with the E-330. When I decided to jump into this new hobby I chose the DSLR over the point and shoot. Anything new I try, I seem to jump in with booth feet as to just getting my feet wet. I have been diving 10 yrs, time to add something new to it other then trying more different dive gear.

One last thing to add.
FLTEKDIVER
I have no more low blows toward you.

gus: Sorry if I contributed to any tension with the joke about my backup camera purchase.

It still bugs me to hear you've got one E330 that won't work right underwater. I've tested my 2nd one a bit abovewater and it appears to work the same as my first, but as I haven't got a housing yet, I could end up in the same boat. So I've got a vested interest in helping you figure it out, or hearing the outcome if you do, and was just kidding a little on the side.

Rgds to all...

RTRski

RTRski

I New you were making a joke about my Refurbished camera. This refurbished camera has been sent to olympus and they did something to it, I just don't what it was. Since It has been returned to me it will focus TOPSIDE almost as fast as my non-refurbished E-330. My u/w photos with the non-refurbished keep getting better as I learn more. Like I said before, since I took an U/W photo class I now know more about how to use the camera. I just need to go dive to try my new knowledge, and thanks to other members on here for helping me know how to use the light metering on the E-330.

I will keep diving with the better of the two cameras. In time when I know more maybe I can try to figure out why the refurbished camera takes u/w photos blured and distorted. Probably operator error, but I tryed all the same setting on it that I have been using on the non-refurbished one.

I would say if both cameras focus the same topside, they both should focus U/W. When I started shooting, topside with booth cameras I could tell right away that the refurbished E-330 was not focusing as well, or as fast as the nonrefurbished E330.

I did over react to FLTEKDIVER when i thought he was picking on me. Just my mistake.

I would like to be able to give some insight to this thread. other than that there is a difference between my two camera's. Sorry about my rambling.

Hey Gus, no enemy's here !! If I could help ya, I would. I don't know why your refurbished camera is taking blur-ed pictures, and your reg camera isn't UW.

Did you try Wetpixel.com :: Underwater Photography and Videography ?

try looking up the E-330 and see if anyone had the same issues.

I hear ya about trying something new, and jumping in with both feet. I tend to do the same thing, and I knew very little about DSLR , coming from a P&S about 6 months ago myself.

I just keep learning every time I dive, and makes it more fun every time. I'm going up to Cave country this weekend, and I'm going to take some UW photos in a cave environment this weekend, and hoping to get some silhouette shots of divers floating above at the entrance to the cave. It will be my first time using the camera in this type of environment, so I'm anxious to see the results.

Good luck with your camera, and hope it works out for ya

Back
Top Bottom