Dyeing a faded BCD wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PSUSciDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone ever tried to dye a faded wing before? I know a guy who has a badly faded halcyon wing I could pick up on the cheap side and I'm wondering if it could be restored back to black.
Thanks

The question that you might wanting to be asking is why is it faded. If it was an instructional bcd used regularly in a chorine pool, there are probably also structural problems with the threads.

Good point, I wasn't thinking about threads. It does however have a new bladder, but that won't be of any good if it has nothing to hold it!
Thanks for the advice!

Has anyone ever tried to dye a faded wing before? I know a guy who has a badly faded halcyon wing I could pick up on the cheap side and I'm wondering if it could be restored back to black.Thanks

Is this a style question or a textile question?

Unzip the shell and inspect the upper seam from inside.

The man-made fabrics used in dive gear, like any sort of nylon, are harder to dye than natural fibers. And you'll probably need to use very hot to boiling water that's maybe not good for any non-fabric parts that can't be removed. Might work, might just make it look crappy in a different way, hard to predict if you don't have a test swatch to experiment with. Personally, I would embrace the well-dived look.

If the material is in such bad shape that you're actually concerned about it structurally, then dying it seems like putting lipstick on a pig.

I have to cycle my pool bcd about every year even though I rinse it off. This last year, I did not cycle it out. The entire housing and bladder ruptured when someone tried to lift it out of the water. Granted, it generally isn't a good idea to lift it out that way, but I don't think a new one would have done that.

Btw, I have tried the dye thing twice. Once on an oceanic and another time on a tusa. In both cases, neither fabric retained the dye for more than a few dives.

If they replaced the bladder themselves versus the factory, make sure that they did it properly. With many manufacturers, you have to install the gasket so that the inner flange is on the inside of the bladder and the outside flange is outside of the housing. Some people don't do this. They put the inner flange on the outside of the bladder.

Last edited:
dying it seems like putting lipstick on a pig.

Lipstick on a pig is a bad thing?........ Ruh Roh.

Last edited:
couple bits of questionable info here.

Quals for this post. I'm a textile engineer, with backgrounds producing ballistic nylon, as well as making tennis ball felts *which is a dyed wool and nylon blend*

The bladder is made of ballistic nylon. Nylon is meant to be used as a synthetic version of wool and was specifically designed to use the same dye stocks as wool so blends can be made without having to go through two dye baths. Wet finishing is horrifically expensive, so it's very important that they dye similarly.

Black wool dye, with all steps followed should get the nylon back to jet black.

Now, reasons nylon fades. Nylon, like the rest of the Amide family *Nomex, Kevlar, etc* are all pansies. They are very strong, but they don't like any chemicals, and they don't like sun. Breakdown occurs fairly rapidly in warm chlorinated environments, and pretty quick in the sun. Some wings have been made with PET for their resistance to chlorine for pool use, but sacrifice abrasion resistance.
As the fibers start to break down, they let out their dye which means their strength and abrasion resistance are fading as well. For the Halcyon outer covers, the only thing you risk damaging is the zipper, but it shouldn't have an issue in the dye bath.

Me personally? faded gear just means it's been well used and if you're going to use it, it isn't going to stay looking pretty for very long no matter how well you try to take care of it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom