Dwyer DM 1000 Series Digital Differential Pressure Gauge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oldbear

Teaching Neutral Diving
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Looks interesting and cost isn’t to bad, haven’t any idea how well they work.

I have not used one but experience with voltmeters tells me I would not like it. For accurate steady state measurements, I love digital equipment but when the measured value varies a lot fairly quickly most digital equipment just doesn't cut it. Nor will it show you rapid transients that an analog meter will, think when a venturi kicks in on a second stage. Then there is cost, this unit is $100 more than a good used analog meter.
I also see the same issues with digital pressure gauges. I have one that I use for checking IP and it works ok but it does not show the quick transitions (mushy lockup on a first stage for example) or give me nearly as good a feel for how the first stage is preforming. Again, IMO the less expensive analog gauges wins.
Might make an interesting toy but for serious work, give a 3-0-3 and a 1-0-1 set of analog gauges....both for 1/3 the cost of one digital one.

I have not used one but experience with voltmeters tells me I would not like it. For accurate steady state measurements, I love digital equipment but when the measured value varies a lot fairly quickly most digital equipment just doesn't cut it. Nor will it show you rapid transients that an analog meter will, think when a venturi kicks in on a second stage. Then there is cost, this unit is $100 more than a good used analog meter.
I also see the same issues with digital pressure gauges. I have one that I use for checking IP and it works ok but it does not show the quick transitions (mushy lockup on a first stage for example) or give me nearly as good a feel for how the first stage is preforming. Again, IMO the less expensive analog gauges wins.
Might make an interesting toy but for serious work, give a 3-0-3 and a 1-0-1 set of analog gauges....both for 1/3 the cost of one digital one.

I believe that it will be more accurate than the analog one if there is a hold button you can push to lock the reading as soon as you see that the IP pressure change.

Not necessarily, it also depends on the refresh time, lower end instruments are too slow to catch moderate speed transients much less quicker ones. Even with a max hold function, the refresh rate may (will likely) be too slow to catch what an analog gauge would show you.

Case in point, put an analog gauge and an electronic pressure gauge on a reg, install the reg on a J valve and set the valve to the "dive" position. Now breath off the reg, the analog gauge will dance up and down as you breath showing the dips in pressure a J valve causes as opposed to the digital one will show a constant pressure. Same thing happens if you dive with a valve partly closed or the dip tube is obstructed, which is why I do not use digital pressure gauges on a reg I dive.

Not necessarily, it also depends on the refresh time, lower end instruments are too slow to catch moderate speed transients much less quicker ones. Even with a max hold function, the refresh rate may (will likely) be too slow to catch what an analog gauge would show you.

Case in point, put an analog gauge and an electronic pressure gauge on a reg, install the reg on a J valve and set the valve to the "dive" position. Now breath off the reg, the analog gauge will dance up and down as you breath showing the dips in pressure a J valve causes as opposed to the digital one will show a constant pressure. Same thing happens if you dive with a valve partly closed or the dip tube is obstructed, which is why I do not use digital pressure gauges on a reg I dive.

Although I can't comment on the responsiveness of this specific brand and model since I haven't used it but there are two things to consider. First, Dwyer presumably must have known what these gauges will be used for and how they will be used, I can't imagine that they didn't think of the issue you bring up before they designed and manufactured the product for the intended market. Second, I know of other brand, digital gauge, that is used by other techs. including major dive equipment service centers and technician training centers in the UK and Asia who use and sell the digital version and they don't appear to have an issue for using them.

While the refresh rate is as fast as 1 second, I can see how an analog might be better in case the second stage locks up between seconds. But the feature that attracted me to the gauge was the “peak” feature. The peak stores the highest pressure readings between uses. With my analog gauges, it is hard for me to read the reading to the precision levels I want to. I am hopeful the digital gauge will record levels to a few significant figures.

It might be a toy that won’t replace my 5-0-5 and 3-0-3 gauges...but when it come to toys, I love them.

The gauge is still cheaper than a phone these days.:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom