DVT retrofit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alphonsis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I purchased a cdx5/gt3 recently which was last year's model. When purchasing it, the LDS's tech mentioned that when I bring it back for servicing in a year, they'll be able to retrofit a DVT into it for about $40 or so.

Is this actually planned, or is he just assuming this is something they'll be able to do in a year's time? If it is possible, will it be a kit I can purchase, or will it have to be done through an oceanic tech/dealer/etc.?

thanks!

If it involves changing things out on internals like the DVT you will not be able to buy the kit directly. Oceanic only sells kits to dealers(liability and warranty issues). You could get a yoke to DIN kit and it's simple to change. ALthough if you get one the dealer will probably install it free of charge. Takes about 2 minutes. The DVT retrofit is not available as yet. My question is why would you want it? I'm an oceanic tech and none of my regs have it. I see it for those who may be a little careless with their gear but if you bought it without it why spend the extra 40 bucks?

The GT3/CDX5 isn't last year's model, Oceanic dealers still sell these regs and Oceanic still produces them.

There are two versions of the CDX5, and the non-DVT might be last year's model. But I know of at least one online source still selling them.

You won't be able to purchase the kit to upgrade the first stage to DVT, only an Oceanic service tech can get the parts. But like JimLap said it will be an easy change, just like the yoke to DIN conversion and your dealer will probably do it free on it's own or as part of your annual service.

I have a different outlook on the DVT than JimLap though because it's saved my butt before! I think it's great.

I converted my FDX 10 to DIN,,,,this in turn removes the DVT feature....no big deal....I am extreamly careful of my gear....did not have DVT for years and never needed it then either....a sales tool pretty much IMO. I would save the $40 for something else!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom