DVT Retro Fit Kit for CDX5???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eliminator

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a Delta4/FDX10 setup and my girlfriend is using a GT3/CDX5 setup. Mine has DVT and hers doesnt. Can you buy a DVT "kit" for the CDX5? It's due for annual in August, is that something that can just be upgraded then?

THANX

Why would you want one? I have three oceanic regs. Two with cdx5 and one dx4. I just bought the latter two and specifically asked for non-dvt on the cdx5. If you take care of your regs and replace the dust cap when you're supposed to then it's not necessary. If it comes with it fine but it's no excuse for not being careful in the first place. BTW I work for a shop that sells oceanic. So it's not like I don't like em I do. But to me the dvt is a gimmick that's not needed and another moving part that can fail.

Well, one of the reasons I like the DVT is because I use a Pro Plus 2. Less possibility of water in the system is always a good initiative in my opinion. Well, at least thats how my LDS explained it to me.

elim

JimLap:
Why would you want one?

JimLap,

Do you do any of the servicing for your store? This obviously depends on how deligent people are with their equipment, but I've seen as high as 80% of regs in for service having some form of internal first stage corrosion.

DVT provides the benefit of keeping water out of the first stage inlet chamber in many more situations than the most obvious dunking it in a rinse bucket without the dust cap.

Do you rinse your reg attached to your tank and pressurized? If not, water is likely to get past the dust cap. It is called a dust cap, not a water cap for a reason.

Do divemasters fill your tanks on board a boat between dives? If you're not making sure that you're capping your first stage each and every time, chances are you'll get some water entry. I am consistently amazed by the number of first stages without dust caps in place I see removed from the valve waiting for a fill on dive boats - all while the boat is underway, with spray coming over the deck and dripping wet divemasters hanging over your gear.

Do you believe that directing air from the cylinder valve into the filter and dust cap is going to keep things nice and dry? Chances are you're blowing water right into the reg.

I don't mean to jump on you Jim, just wanted to take advantage of my opportunity to dispel the the rumor that DVT is only for people that accidentally rinse their reg without the dust cap.

Doug

Doug Krause:
JimLap,

Do you do any of the servicing for your store? This obviously depends on how deligent people are with their equipment, but I've seen as high as 80% of regs in for service having some form of internal first stage corrosion.

DVT provides the benefit of keeping water out of the first stage inlet chamber in many more situations than the most obvious dunking it in a rinse bucket without the dust cap.

Do you rinse your reg attached to your tank and pressurized? If not, water is likely to get past the dust cap. It is called a dust cap, not a water cap for a reason.

Do divemasters fill your tanks on board a boat between dives? If you're not making sure that you're capping your first stage each and every time, chances are you'll get some water entry. I am consistently amazed by the number of first stages without dust caps in place I see removed from the valve waiting for a fill on dive boats - all while the boat is underway, with spray coming over the deck and dripping wet divemasters hanging over your gear.

Do you believe that directing air from the cylinder valve into the filter and dust cap is going to keep things nice and dry? Chances are you're blowing water right into the reg.

I don't mean to jump on you Jim, just wanted to take advantage of my opportunity to dispel the the rumor that DVT is only for people that accidentally rinse their reg without the dust cap.

Doug

Ok Doug,
You jumped on Jim, but you didn't answer the question that eliminator asked.

Doug Krause:
JimLap,

Doug

At this time no I don't myself but do assist and observe only because our rep keeps coming up with excuses as to why he can't do the repair clinic. Been waiting over a year. First it was he was new and putting together a powerpoint presentation. Then it was DEMA, Then it was he did not have his kits, Then it was a new big store somewhere opening, Now it's Beneath the Sea.

I do rinse my reg attached and pressurized. And just converted one cdx5 to DIN today and will be doing other shortly.
I have not yet been on a boat that does fills between dives and on the ones I do go on that switch out tanks I do my own. I do not allow anyone to touch my gear. I have also seen regs come in with some nasty crap and water and other stuff in the first stage. 99% of this could have been prevented by a little common sense and attention to detail by the owner. So for these people the DVT is warranted. As well as an equipment care class.

Why would anyone direct tank air into the filter? To quick dry the dust cap yes but only as insurance after drying the cap with a cloth. the air blows any lint away and I never direct it into the filter. Just in case the valve is wet and blows not only air but water drops.

I have no problem with the DVT as a product in general. But for me personally it's another moving part that could fail. And again a feature that I do not need or want on my gear. Not a slam just my personal choice.

Resurrecting an old post here...

Has there been any update as to the possibility of adding the DVT to a CDX5? I would like to do this to mine but cannot find any information on it.

Well, I guess there is a retro kit. LDS has ordered me two. I guess the rep doesn't monitor this forum... Its a shame.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom