Dutch this Weekend, 4/10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

michaelp68

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Jon, and any others, are we still good for 10:00 this Saturday meeting at the main gate? If so, I'll see you there.

If the time or meeting location are different, just let me know.

Thanks.

didn't see you there?

Anywaym, here is my report on the day:

So,.. tried doubles (OMS112) today. Definitely felt a difference! ..but more so on top of the water (and on the ground, of course), than in the water. While swimming on the surface, it tends to pull you backwards... and the feeling is very pronounced, something I wasn't expecting with the 50# doubles wing... brings to mind those idiots who preach against back-inflation BCs pointing that the Wing setup pushes you face down... well, in this case, it was the other way.. which isn't such a bad thing in certain situations... anyway... underwater, it feels just a tad different when you try to rotate side to side, but it's not a big deal. I got used to it on the 2nd dive and it didn't bother me at all. I haven't actually tried to invert myself upside down or anything, but it didn't feel like anything I couldn’t manage. All these reports on the "turtle effect" that I see on the ScubaBoard are exaggerated. I could see how people may run into problems if they have never dove a Backplate/Wing setup before and then moved to doubles, but if you have already been diving BP/Wing, then it's not such a big deal.

I also saw a lot of posts on the ScubaBoard and TDS of new folks trying doubles pointing out that they’re going head-down. I didn’t feel that at all,. First of all, I like being a bit head-down, back arched, and the groin is the lowest point, I noticed That I could easily control the pivot by banding and extending the feet with my knees. That came naturally, and worked. Kicking, somehow, felt just a bit different, like driving a huge truck vs. two-door coupe. Just felt like you’re heavy, and it take a while to start the momentum going. I guess these are just basic physics law giving an increased weight and size of the tanks.

I haven't done any valve drills; that will wait until the DIR-F next week. Overall, I am happy, and will definitely continue diving doubles from now on. It's also convenient not to switch tanks after each dive, and it does feel like you have an unlimited amount of air as the gauge seems not to move. Have to watch NDL now!!!

I was dead on with the weight. OMS tanks are buoyant, and despite everything, my 4lb on a weight belt helped a lot with both, the trim, and keeping myself steady at 10ft when the tanks are nearly drained. I will have to fine-tune it some more; I am sure MHK will give me some tips on that next week. I can't wait.

-Cheers,
-VT

I was there. I didn't know who to look out for, though, other than Jon's green Grand Am with a Yakima rack, which I didn't see.

Glad you had a good dive and enjoyed the day.

Fortunately, I found some people to dive with and had a great dive, too. It was my first time at Dutch and I loved it. Visibility was 70 feet and it was a beautiful day.

I was wearing a new suit and I turned out to be a bit overweighted, but now I know.... The dive was great and I can't wait to go back.

Hopefully, we'll coordinate better next time and dive together. Take care.

michaelp

I heard everybody exiting the water say the same thing, that the visibility was the best it's ever been at Dutch.

Michael,

I think that you and Jon got your signals crossed. I remember that he was looking for you on 4/3 and couldn't find you. I think you were both off by one week!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom