Dutch Springs Incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kestrell

Reaction score
I wanted to know if anyone has any first-hand information on an incident at Dutch Springs on Saturday 8/28?

There was some sort of comotion on the peninsula side where safety personel had to enter the water. I wanted to know if it was serious and if everyone involved was okay.

By the way, the staff apeared to respond quickly and professionally from my vantage point.

Okay, I got some clarification on the incident at Dutch Springs from someone who was there the day after it happened. Since it is not first-hand information, I'll be brief and only give the basics.

It seems a diver lost his wieght belt at depth and made an uncontrolled ascent. I do not know anything else, but it did not look as if anything life threatening came from it since they did not immediately evacuate him, instead they were treating him on the dock for a period of time.

Do you know what time this happened? I was there diving along the north side cliff and saw someone pop up then tried to descend again. I'm wondering if this was the incident?
BTW our dive was around 2:30...

Hi gang,
I was there and assited in the rescue. All divers are OK. pair of student divers with an instructor along the wall by the entrance for the school bus. One diver got cranky and headed for the surface, all equipment was in place. The diver did manage at some point to yank the pull dump off of the bottom of the BC. The BC did still hold air. Instructor came up with the diver, attempting to slow the ascent and did note diver exhaled the whole way up.

Rescuers responded the sound of the instructor's whistle and assisted in towing diver to the dock where he was helped out of the water, stripped of gear (yes, weightbelt was still in place) and examined for injuries. There were 3 EMT types on hand that took over at that point and all was well with the diver.

The EMT that helped carry the diver's gear across the parking noted that the weightbelt had 40 pounds on it.

Jeff

SeaCobra:
Hi gang,
I was there and assited in the rescue. All divers are OK. pair of student divers with an instructor along the wall by the entrance for the school bus. One diver got cranky and headed for the surface, all equipment was in place. The diver did manage at some point to yank the pull dump off of the bottom of the BC. The BC did still hold air. Instructor came up with the diver, attempting to slow the ascent and did note diver exhaled the whole way up.

Rescuers responded the sound of the instructor's whistle and assisted in towing diver to the dock where he was helped out of the water, stripped of gear (yes, weightbelt was still in place) and examined for injuries. There were 3 EMT types on hand that took over at that point and all was well with the diver.

The EMT that helped carry the diver's gear across the parking noted that the weightbelt had 40 pounds on it.

Jeff

Thanks for the correction. I'm glad the diver is okay.

I saw the rescue from across the quarry. You guys did a great job. I feel very reassured knowing that if I ever need help it will be right there.

By the way, isn't 40lbs excessive for the circumstances. I mean, I'm 240lbs and I dive with 18lbs in a 7mil. and a steel 95.

Kestrell:
By the way, isn't 40lbs excessive for the circumstances. I mean, I'm 240lbs and I dive with 18lbs in a 7mil. and a steel 95.

That's pretty much why I think it was brought to my attention. Could have been a contributing factor.

Jeff

Any way you look at it 40# is way too much on a weight belt. This has nothing to do with what it takes to get the diver down. Sounds like he was way over weighted, but that is a separate issue. Split the weight up some. Losing a 40# all at once will make you a potential missle. Not good. The ditchable should be close to the weight of the gas in the tank. Wetsuits complicate this a little due to loss of buoyancy of the suit, but 40#? I don't carry that much gas in a stage and doubled up 104s pumped to 3600 psi.

^*^BATMAN^*^:
i woudl geuse it depends on the body make up of the diver, gear used, and most likely, way too much weight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom