Dutch Springs incident on Sunday 10/28

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Dutch Springs diver dies

N.J. man found unresponsive in water. Lehigh County coroner awaits toxicology report.

Tuesday, October 30, 2007
By MICHAEL BUCK
The Express-Times

L. NAZARETH TWP. | A Westampton, N.J., man who police said was a new diver died Sunday after scuba diving at Dutch Springs.

XXXXX XXXXXXXX, 50, was found unresponsive under water and was pulled to the surface by fellow divers, police said. The Lehigh County coroner said XXXXXXXX was taken to Lehigh Valley Hospital-Muhlenberg, where he was pronounced dead.

The coroner's office did an autopsy Monday morning and said a cause of death is pending a toxicology report.

Colonial Regional police Deputy Chief James DePalma said XXXXXXXX was on his second dive of the day when other divers noticed something was wrong. He said the man was diving in water about 75 feet deep.

DePalma said the man was a new diver but could not offer more details on the man's level of expertise. He said police were dispatched about 11:50 a.m.

Dutch Springs manager Andrea Scott said emergency crews are stationed around the 50-acre recreational lake for situations in which divers are endangered.

"We have a very quick response so we can help a diver in need," Scott said.

Scott said Dutch Springs rents out oxygen tanks but no other equipment. She did not know if the man was using his own tanks.

"I don't know if it has anything to do with his equipment," Scott said.

Dutch Springs requires all divers to sign a waiver before using the facility. The waiver discharges Dutch Springs and its employees from legal action resulting from "any injury, including death."

"Any time a tragedy like this happens, it's a hard thing for Dutch Springs and our staff," Scott said.

Dutch Springs, a spring-fed former quarry on Hanoverville Road, attracts about 30,000 divers a year with features such as submerged vehicles, a sunken airplane and a diverse population of fish. The lake reaches a maximum depth of about 100 feet.

Good God! I was there doing my AOW and didn't notice a thing! We did have to do an emergency ascent for a student in our class that was panicking at 60 feet, but he made it to the surface fine, and surface swam with a DM to shore. He did do dive 2 with us an finished the course fine.

I can't believe I wouldn't have noticed or that no one would have mentioned it, even at the food stand where I was with a bunch of people having lunch and tea while we were working on our logbooks. I only finished up dive 3 at about 12:30pm and didn't leave until 1:30 at the earliest.

Condolences to the family.

Good God! I was there doing my AOW and didn't notice a thing! We did have to do an emergency ascent for a student in our class that was panicking at 60 feet, but he made it to the surface fine, and surface swam with a DM to shore. He did do dive 2 with us an finished the course fine.

I can't believe I wouldn't have noticed or that no one would have mentioned it, even at the food stand where I was with a bunch of people having lunch and tea while we were working on our logbooks. I only finished up dive 3 at about 12:30pm and didn't leave until 1:30 at the earliest.

Condolences to the family.

The incident was on the back side of the quarry, near the large abandoned building. We came out of the water to find a bunch of police interviewing somebody from the class that one member of our group happened to know.

From what he told us it was an out of air situation but who knows how accurate that information is.

Do you mean back by the old pump house? According to the article he was about 75', which would be about right for back there. I had left the penninsula side about 30 minutes prior to this accident. I think this makes at least 5 divers taken out by ambulance this year alone, the second fatal one this year too. My heart goes out to his family, may mine never get 'the call'.

Do you mean back by the old pump house? According to the article he was about 75', which would be about right for back there. I had left the penninsula side about 30 minutes prior to this accident. I think this makes at least 5 divers taken out by ambulance this year alone, the second fatal one this year too. My heart goes out to his family, may mine never get 'the call'.

Yes that is the area that I mean.

Back
Top Bottom