Dumaguete/Dauin/Apo Vs. Bohol? Which is best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if youre going for diving and UW photography definitely go to dauin and apo island. if you want good diving with a little evening entertainment go to alona. Personally Id go to dauin/apo island. My favorite over in dauin is definitely sea-explorers and purr vida. good quality with a reasonable price...

Thank you for all your posts, I'm now sorted to go..

Fly into Cebu, trans up to Malapascua,
Quick House Reef dive with Exotic, staying at Slam's
Then 4 days diving w/Evolution incl Monad 4 Threshers, Lighthouse, Gato Island, Calanggaman Island,

Trans back to Cebu then ferry to Hilongos, bus down to Sogod Bay.
2 days diving w/Peter's + WS trip & Pier night dive, staying with SBSR
Back up to Hilongos, ferry to Cebu
Fly out

Many thanks to everyone who has helped me with such great info, couldn't have organised it without you.
When I get back I'll post a Trip Report

Cheers!

Please share with us how your trip went :) I just got back from a trip to Dauin (6 dives) / Apo (9 dives)

Will do. I'll do a report with links to the threads where everyone gave me info and I'll try to include as much as poss about where I went, who I dived/stayed with, which dives site, etc and awesome pics too...hopefully. Thanks again everyone!

I want to relay our experience in getting from Cebu to Malapascua. Our hotel offered to prebook the two of us for 9,200 round trip. We were quoted $8,000p RT for the taxi ride to Maya and settled on 6,000p, roundtrip ymmv. I met a couple claiming they paid 2000p for the taxi, who knows what they paid for the return trip. A private boat is 2000 we ended up getting a deal and splitting it with a couple so it was only 750p each couple but I had to pay 1000p for a private and very small boat coming back. We saved 1,450 ($35). If I had it to do over again, I would have paid the 9,200. Here is why, first we were lucky that another couple was waiting. The boat guys wanted us to commit to the trip, they knew the bus was coming and they figured they would sell another boat. Right after we agreed they got us on board and asked for immediate payment. Right after we paid the bus arrived, that's why they cut the boat price from 2000 to 1500. Later I found out there was only one couple on the bus and they ended up getting stuck for 2,000p. OK so we got a good deal for the boat ride? Yea I heard you can get on a public boat but I didn't see any, at least not for the tourists. They ended up putting on 6 locals and one was the chief of police on our private boat. I guess the boat guys wanted to impress the chief so they dropped us off a couple of hundred yards down from our hotel, probably close to his house? Then it started pouring, I mean pouring. They had a small dingy take us to the shore, another 40p and then 2 porters to carry our stuff. By the time we got to our hotel everything was soaked. I mean everything in our suitcases, sh-t we had to wash all of our clothes. Moral of the story is if you don't have a connection its likely you will be taken advantaged of at Maya, and my girl friend is a native Filipina. Other than that we loved Malapascua.

The short transfer from Maya to whatever kind of boat and vice versa is a disgrace. There must be a kind of "mafia, triad" operating there. They are not even friendly after you paid up!!!!
I did not notice it 10 yrs ago but as the place(Malapascua) is getting more popular, this kind of unsavoury element probably moved in.

My dive master arranged a small banca back to Maya for us. Those A-holes in Maya wouldn't let him pull up to the dock because he wasn't part of their triad. Pay the 9,000 or whatever the hotel wants. I doubt they would screw around with the hotels, that's their bread and butter.

It reminds me of the little scam fees to view the volcano at Tagaytay, tricycles, private boats, horses, guides, hats, face masks, gloves, refreshments for the guides, tips and hitting golf balls into the volcano, They even had a very large sign saying walking to the volcano was prohibited by order of the major. ha ha. Amazing how many ways they could nickel and dime us to death.

Back
Top Bottom