DUI Zip Gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

laughingman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Tried to search forums but couldn't find a previous thread, though I know there's probably one out there. Anyway, we're considering moving to dry gloves and trying to decide whether to go with the DUI Zip Gloves or the Diving Concepts. How difficult is it to remove and re-attach the zip gloves? Any opinions, experience?

Kip Nead

The zipgloves are not that hard to attach to the suit, the only weird part is the obvious, unlike a seal you can't stick your fingers through the hole in the seal to pinch the seam when you attach them so you have to jam one arm down the sleeve and use both hands to do it.

I am not a fan of dry gloves in general (others obviously differ) because your dexterity is limited so it's very difficult to complete suiting up, attaching gear, etc. I wouldn't think the zip gloves differ that much from the DC style or the hard ring/sleeve systems in that regard, and even if you were to put the gloves on with one of those systems after suiting up, you've got the problem of attaching the gloves with one hand when you need two (or two hands when you need three, depending on your perspective).

I do have a pair of DUI zipgloves that I used once - reinforcing my general dislike of drygloves - so if you do decide to try them PM me and I'll give them to you for a good price. :wink:

I like dry gloves, but as Night Diver noted, they have some drawbacks. I do not dive in too cold of conditions so have thought of selling my orange (high dexterity) gloves. They are VERY nice to have - the last time I used them was in 49 degree water. I never had a single issue with being cold, and can actually say that I had no dexterity issues. My only issue was that you have to remove the arms to do things like eat on the surface interval, etc... I got a little spray bottle for traveling that I made a soapy mixture to put in and use that with a squirt top and viola.. not an issue to remove/replace/swap these.. AT All.

I agree with what has gone before. I'd rather not wear dry gloves if I don't have to, but when the water is cold enough that I need them, they're wonderful. I dive with the neoprene zip gloves and love them. The zip seal system has the obvious advantage of field replaceable seals in under 5 minutes.

Hi Kip,

I saw your posting and thought I would send a quick note. The ZipGloves are not hard to replace. They do take a little more effort than the ZipSeals because of the glove. The trick is lining up the palm of the glove with the sleeve. All DUI drysuits have a seam that runs down the center of the arm. This lines up with the palm of the hand. All you need to do is line up the sleeve seam with the palm. For myself I just hold the outside of the glove and bunch it up to press the seal into place. And just like that you have a new ZipGlove installed. As Scubapatton suggests, a little soapy water sure makes life easy. Use a little soapy water whenever you change out ZipSeals or ZipGloves.

I am not familiar with the Diving Concepts gloves.

Diving with dry gloves does have it's challenges. But if you have cold hands that are SO much warmer. Some people love dry gloves and others do not.

The DUI website has up the dates for the 2009 DOG Rally & Demo Tour. ZipGloves are a part of the test equipment. You can come on out and test dive the ZipGloves and see if you like them before investing in any manufactures dry gloves.

Happy diving -

Kathy at DUI - Diving Unlimited International

A Great Lakes diver, I've been diving with the blue ZipGloves ever since I bought a drysuit. While dexterity was an issue the first few dives, a little practice quickly took care of that. As a DM and later an instructor, I've switched out regulator hoses, replaced o-rings and fixed many other gear problems that arose after I had suited up. Because of this, dexterity has not been an issue underwater either. Tasks like writing (legible!) notes, rigging and blowing a lift bag, or helping student divers with wet gloves (and cold hands!) tuck their mask skirts back under their hoods are pretty easy to do.

I hate glove liners that smell like moldy shower curtains, and the ZipGloves are so easy to take off and put on that I remove them after each dive day to dry in front of a small fan. If you tuck the glove in on itself around the seal, it's easy to pinch the seal closed from outside the sleeve. The soapy water suggested above is a great help...however, a spritz of SeaVision defog or even a good lick around the seal will do if you forget to bring the soapy water with you.

For me, dry gloves are good; warm hands are good; and ZipGloves are good...but every diver is different, and DUI Demo Days are a great way to find out if ZipGloves are right for you.

Whatever you decide, I wish you warm hands and good diving!

I also love my zip gloves (blue ones).

I had some trouble with dexterity at first. As a woman, my hand we a little small for the gloves. I replaced the liners that came with the gloves with some thin polartec gloves. The extra bulk of the gloves help with my dexterity. I also have a lot more dexterity than I did with my wet gloves.

Putting them back on the suit took a little practice, but I can now do it pretty quickly.

I have the "tunnels" in the wrist so zip seals are a must. I use the DUI zip seal gloves. Yes - the soapy water is the trick. When I was diving Pt. Hardy, four of us had DUI zip seals. The other 8 divers had Diving Concepts or other ring systems. The four of us with DUI zip seal gloves had no problems with the seals leaking. The other ring systems were a fight to keep dry.

One problem with the DUI zip seal gloves, if you are going after the lobster in the hole, there is a chance for the seal to get pinched and come loose.

I'm a photographer, I let my lens capture the lobster. :D

One vote for Ring style dry gloves. I dive mine all the time and have no problem with them. I can put them on and take them off by myself. Like anything there are little tricks you learn after using them for a while. Best part is if you tear the glove you still have a wrist seal. I've seen someone at the local quarry who had zip seals with the rings mounted on a pair of zip seals. So you can switch between wet and dry gloves without too much hassel. Just my 2 cents.

I recently signed up for a dry suit course, and I am planning on some pretty cold diving. Do you all think it would be better to just 'suck it up' and use dry gloves from the get go, or would it be easier to first take the course and go from there? :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom