DUI Warm Neck Self-Venting Hood Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does DUI Warm Neck Self-Venting Hood work fine for cold water (35-50 degree) diving?

As long as you're wearing it with a suit that is set up for a "warm neck" hood. Most DUI suits (all?) allow you to tuck the hood into the suit (outside the neck seal, but inside the suit) and I find that I'm fine in ~40deg or so water with the DUI hood. My previous BARE suit didn't have the ability to tuck the hood in at all, and I found my neck would get very cold.

Warmth/cold is a relative thing though, so your mileage may vary.

Yes. It works very well in the lower 40 degree water...

The DUI hood's smooth 3mm face skirt seals very nicely, so I find it's warm down to about 45 degrees.

Adding a Henderson Ice Cap underhood keeps my head even warmer down to the low 30's, even for long periods. The ice cap will only leave the lips themselves exposed, and they stay warm because they are so well vascularized. No more numb-lip mumbling after a dive! :D

Henderson USA - Detail

nh30n.jpg

The ice cap's outer surface is smooth and makes such a good seal with the DUI face skirt that the inner surfaces will often stay dry.

I use routinely use both hoods for temps below 60 degrees.

Love the combination! :)

Dave C

The DUI hood's smooth 3mm face skirt seals very nicely, so I find it's warm down to about 45 degrees.

Adding a Henderson Ice Cap underhood keeps my head even warmer down to the low 30's, even for long periods. The ice cap will only leave the lips themselves exposed, and they stay warm because they are so well vascularized. No more numb-lip mumbling after a dive! :D

Henderson USA - Detail

nh30n.jpg

The ice cap's outer surface is smooth and makes such a good seal with the DUI face skirt that the inner surfaces will often stay dry.

I use routinely use both hoods for temps below 60 degrees.

Love the combination! :)

Dave C

With this cap do you seal the mask to the hood or does it ride over the mask skirt?

With this cap do you seal the mask to the hood or does it ride over the mask skirt?

The mask skirt seals on top of the ice cap hood.

The face hole of the ice cap extends from the bottom edge of the eyebrows, to just below the nose. The mouth hole is just big enough to allow the mouthpiece in, leaving most of the lips protected. Between the mouth hole and the face hole is a 3/4" strip of neoprene that covers the upper lip to the bottom of the nose.

In addition to being warmer, the ice cap also makes the mask seal better. :)

If needed, you can customize the face or lip opening with a pair of scissors. I took a little off the eyebrow area to keep it out of my view.

The ice cap underhood make a big difference. I highly recommend it.

Dave C

Received the Henderson Ice Cap today...having considerable difficulty sliding my DUI hood on over it. The smooth side is toward the skin as the directions indicate, but the outer surface seems to prevent any sliding of neoprene over it..

Any suggestions?

Received the Henderson Ice Cap today...having considerable difficulty sliding my DUI hood on over it. The smooth side is toward the skin as the directions indicate, but the outer surface seems to prevent any sliding of neoprene over it..

Any suggestions?

It can be a tight fit, especially if your DUI hood is new or a pretty tight fit by itself.

That's the case with mine, so I put the ice cap underhood on, then sprinkle some baby powder on the outside of the ice cap and on the inside of the DUI hood.

Then grasp the sides of the bottom of the DUI hood and get it started evenly. It will slide on fairly easily once you get it started.

Slight repositioning of the ice cap may be necessary after the DUI hood gets into position.

An alternative to powder might be Johnson's Baby Shampoo mixed with some water, but I think powder would work better.

Hope this helps.

Dave C

Back
Top Bottom