DUI vs Aqualung Fusion Drysuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Fusion works for different weight ranges fairly well, it seems. Not so for height. Just for the heck of it, I checked out the size chart. I’d have to go down a size to get one that might fit me height wise - but the height range goes from 5’5” to 5’9” - that’s just too big of a range.
I am not saying the Fusion is the right suit for "everyone" by any stretch. This is evident in how much Marie despises it, but I am saying that the opinion of someone that despises it but has not really used it should be taken with a grain of salt. If you have someone that despises it and has more than a fews dives in one carries much more weight. In the end, try them all and find out what works for you..
Did you try going down one size on the inner core but the same size for the skin?

@Marie13
Which model did you try? I don't know how long they have been producing it, but there is a women's specific model called the Fusion Fit which is cut differently than the men's model to accomodate the arm/leg/torso ratio differences that women have compared to men. The chest and hip area are also cut to fit a woman's profile a bit better. If you tried on the Fusion Tech or Fusion Bullet then I can totally understand the length issues you are having.

Regarding the zipper, unless one is diving solo, the issue of struggling to to get the suit sealed up is somewhat ridiculous as one can simply have their dive partner help them with opening and closing the zipper. Also, unless one is at the larger end of the range a suit size is meant to accommodate there is enough material to pull the zipper forward off the shoulder to open/close the zipper oneself. Sure a diagonal zip may be easier in some respects, but I don't have to be a contortionist to get my suit over my head when donning/doffing...the same with the fusion thermal undergarment that has a similar zipper placement, no struggle to get it off my shoulders when taking the system off.

Regarding the entire suit....its not perfect for everyone, it wasn't meant to be. Just like all the products on the market, it is good for some, less so for others. Thankfully, even though diving is a niche market it is robust enough that there are lots of products choose from.

-Z

Last edited:
I am not saying the Fusion is the right suit for "everyone" by any stretch. This is evident in how much Marie despises it, but I am saying that the opinion of someone that despises it but has not really used it should be taken with a grain of salt. If you have someone that despises it and has more than a fews dives in one carries much more weight. In the end, try them all and find out what works for you..

To add to my previous input -- I have nearly 200 dives on mine.

I just finished several dives on my Aqualung fusion tech, I didn't like the zipper at first, getting used to it though. Also the neck ring sometimes seems to be in the way of my backplate on my rebreather. I did have to change a wrist seal at the dive site nice to be able to do that, of course any suit can have that capability. I do like the flex ability of the suit ,hated the apeks dump valve ( it leaked from new ) replaced it with a si-tech problem solved. I don't feel like I stay as warm as I did in my USIA techniflex, but I do like the ability to change many different thickness of undergarments and the suit still fits.. I only have about 12 dives on it so I have yet to make a final decision but early on I still prefer the USIA.
I bought the suit from Dive right in Scuba and had a series of problems from the start that weren't really anyone's fault just kinda fell through the cracks I think. It got shipped to the wrong guy, had the wrong dry glove system on it, apeks valve leaked...etc..But Mike at DRIS did everything he could to make it right very impressed with their customer service. I will definitely be a repeat customer.

I seem to recall this being a broader issue, and on mine, cranking the valve closed about 1/4 turn cures the leaky exhaust valve.
Yeah, apparently that is a solution for some leaky Apeks valves. If that was the problem with mine I still would have switched to a si-tech, doesn't leak regardless of where it's set. My Apeks however had an internal leak, I sent it in and had it leak tested. When they told me it was faulty I had it replaced with the si-tech, completely dry now

I am very happy with my Fusion Bullet. The suit fits great (always) no matter what the weather/ water condition. I have around 300 dive in this suit with no leaks. I replaced wrist and neaks seals onsite with no issues. The neck ring can feel uncomfortable when not in the water and donning is a learning experience.

The benefits of the suit IMO far outweigh the cons. I cave dive with this suit and it shows no signs of wear and is leakfree, they are incredibly durable.
I recommend using wetboots with a Fusion.

I recommend using wetboots with a Fusion.

I have 15 dives in my Fusion Bullet since purchasing it the beginning of June. I was given a pair of the Fusion boots to go along with the suit and they work great. I leave them attached as the velcro that holds them on is very tenacious. I hang-dry my suit on one of those hangers that holds the suit by the ankles...could not do that with wetboots.

I placed a set of insoles from a set of hiking boots in the feet of the suit to increase arch support and comfort when walking.

I just recently noticed that my wet suit booties have split across the ball of the foot where they flex when walking...unless one is using a thicker soled wetsuit booty with a drysuit, pay attention to this as it would totally suck to find that one has inadvertently worn a hole in the foot of their expensive drysuit because they were trying to save a few bucks by using wetsuit booties instead of something more robust.

-Z

@Marie13
Which model did you try? I don't know how long they have been producing it, but there is a women's specific model called the Fusion Fit which is cut differently than the men's model to accomodate the arm/leg/torso ratio differences that women have compared to men. The chest and hip area are also cut to fit a woman's profile a bit better. If you tried on the Fusion Tech or Fusion Bullet then I can totally understand the length issues you are having.

Not sure on the model, but it looks to be the basic one. It was in DRIS' rental fleet. I called it "the red one." The skin was a dark red/maroon color.

I didn't know about the women's Fusion Fit model until the other gal in my SM class this weekend showed up for class with hers. I may have to eat a large amount of crow, but after getting a very good look at hers during the two days of class, I am now considering one. After getting back from my diving trip this weekend, I'm going to go into the shop and see if they have one in stock to try on. Mike thought they might. If the height issue can be dealt with, I guess I could deal with the danged zipper. The big selling point for me is the weight range - I'm in the processing of losing more weight, and the Fusion could deal with that. I also like the fact that it is closer fitting and seems to be more flexible. My USIA Techniflex was rather stiff. I choked on the price at first, until I realized it comes with the SiTech replaceable seal system that costs $400 for the shop to add.

Not sure on the model, but it looks to be the basic one. It was in DRIS' rental fleet. I called it "the red one." The skin was a dark red/maroon color.

I didn't know about the women's Fusion Fit model until the other gal in my SM class this weekend showed up for class with hers. I may have to eat a large amount of crow, but after getting a very good look at hers during the two days of class, I am now considering one. After getting back from my diving trip this weekend, I'm going to go into the shop and see if they have one in stock to try on. Mike thought they might. If the height issue can be dealt with, I guess I could deal with the danged zipper. The big selling point for me is the weight range - I'm in the processing of losing more weight, and the Fusion could deal with that. I also like the fact that it is closer fitting and seems to be more flexible. My USIA Techniflex was rather stiff. I choked on the price at first, until I realized it comes with the SiTech replaceable seal system that costs $400 for the shop to add.

Let me know how it goes...My wife currently has a love/hate relationship with diving because her body morphology does not work well with her wetsuit. It has always been a struggle for her to put on and she has gotten to the point that she would rather not dive than undergo the struggle and deal with the uncomfortableness of it. She is 5'2" and a bit on the round side due to a thyroid issue, child birth, and a touch of laziness (yeah I know, I have 3 fingers pointing back at me)....it was recently recommended that she have a custom wetsuit made for her body but I am hesitate towards that option as it the money may be better spent on a drysuit for her....I would be interested to know if your morphology is similar to my wife's and how you fare with the Fusion Fit women's model....respond by PM if you prefer.

-Z

The fusion is the easiest to dive drysuit. To save on wrist seals, make up 50% water/baby shampoo, spray on wrist and inside seal when doning/doffing and you'll never blow a seal, I havent changes wrist seals in like 4 years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom