DUI Undergarment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ppo2_diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I got a new TLS350 suit earlier this year. I've been trying to decide on what undergarment I want to get for deep Lake Michigan diving. I ordered a 400g thinsulate and tried it out. I wasn't able to reach my valves and just felt stiff. So I sent it back for a bigger size. Now I'm thinking that the 400g might be a little to much for what I need. I don't get cold very easy. I'm now looking at DUI's Thinsulate Liteloft Extreme. This looks like a more appropriate suit for me as if I need any extra warmth, I can add a layer of polypro underneath. I did a search here and on "other boards" and didn't find much information. Anybody got any thoughts on this undergarment?

FWIW, I did try a buddy's Weezle Extreme+. I liked it, but found it trapped air funny and I wasn't able to manage the gas in the suit. I also had to add more gas than with the thinsulate. So I'm ruling out that suit.

Of course no one can say precisely which undergarment will keep you comfortable in different conditions. I can only speak for myself.

For colder water, for me around 45 to 55 degrees, I like the Diving Concepts TPS Thinsulate Extreme Stretch. For water that is warmer, lets say up to the 50 to 60 degree range, I like the DUI Power Stretch 300. Both of these undergarments stretch, and for me that makes a big difference. The undergarment can fit closer, but still give me the flexibility to reach my valves.

Mark Vlahos

I thought about the DC undies. But I don't get keyman on them. :)

I use my DUI fleece for warmer water in the local quarries, but would like something thicker when I do longer, colder dives.

I can extend the range of my various undergarments by adding polypropolene camping underwear of various thicknesses. Of course dry gloves also make a big difference as the water gets colder. But, you are probably well aware of this.

Key man discounts can make a difference, but don't let the money make you cold. :)

Mark Vlahos

ppo2_diver:
I thought about the DC undies. But I don't get keyman on them. :)

I use my DUI fleece for warmer water in the local quarries, but would like something thicker when I do longer, colder dives.

Here's my experience:

I have the 200G thinsulate (not liteloft) from DUI. This seems to be no better warmth-wise than the 300G fleece (maybe even a tad colder if anything but is way easier to dive than the fleece and gives me *more* flexibility I think).

The 400G I still need to work on the valve drills (but I am pretty sure I can reach em fine), and figuring out how much gas to put in the suit, and I was sweating in 57F water!

One option is get the DUI200g and then get the Diving Concepts 200 thinsulate vest for about $120 or so (which I have but have not yet tried out in the water)

Here's my take on it. I dive a DUI CF200 and have 3 sets of unders, a DUI 200gm thinsulate, a DUI 400gm thinsulate, and a Bare T100 200g thinsulate, along with a Carol Davis bodysock as a "skin." If the water temp is around 55 degrees I'll use either of the 200gm alone. If it's gonna be a long dive or boat ride, or about 50 degrees or colder (low is about 46 degrees here), I'll wear the bodysock underneath. The 400gm is just too hot for just about anything out here (for me, at least). The Carol Davis stuff is polartec (280gm), and IIRC, DUI has a double layer polartec jumpsuit that I see quite frequently (560gm?) IMHO, the Bare seems higher quality than the DUI thinsulate suits.

I prefer the Bare undergarments. They are cut a bit better, and also come in TALL sizes. For my 6'2" frame the Med/Large Tall is perfect, while the DUI large was too short.

I also wholeheartedly agree that the quality is better on the Bare than the DUI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom