DUI tour

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fjpatrum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I had the opportunity to visit the DUI plant last week while I was in San Diego. My suit happens to be in-house getting new silicone zip seals right now and the timing just worked out well as far as me having a few minutes to spare. I didn't get to see my actual suit but that wasn't really the goal.

I have to thank the good folks at DUI who took time out from their day to walk me around the plant and show me things while answering my inane questions.

For anyone interested in how these things are built, tested, and repaired, it's totally worth it to give DUI a call if/when you're in the area and walk around the facilities. Not nearly as automated as I would have expected and they had a small army of people working that surprised me but a well run little facility nonetheless.

The best part about the tour was seeing their testing process, which gives me some ideas how to do my own tests and repairs at home.

Some other things:
1) I didn't know DUI has been in business for 50 years. I assumed they'd only been around since the 80s or so.
2) I didn't know DUI has such a "large" government business providing suits and specialized equipment for the military.
3) I didn't realize how crushed neoprene is crushed. It makes sense that they just use pressure but I'd never really considered it much.
4) As with many things, especially primarily mechanical rather than electrical things, simple solutions are often the best ones. DUI has come up with some ingenious devices/methods for testing materials and designs that truly appeal to my DIY personality. Although I bought my suit used, their "low budget" tech and excellent customer service attitude will keep me coming back to them in the future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom