DUI (TLS-350) Suspender re-attachment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sunnyboy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Going to throw this one out there for those who've done this repair before...

The suspender on my TLS350 came off last weekend. The stitching holding the suspender to the cloth disk that attaches the suspender came undone. Re-sewing is not an option as you'd pierce the suit.

So the plan is to sew the suspender to a disk of cloth as originally done, then glue the disk of cloth to the inside of the suit.

I called DUI service/support to ask what kind of glue and what type of fabric for the disk, but was underwhelmed with the response, to say the least. (the fellow said the disk was neoprene and I can clearly tell it's NOT neoprene. It's not tri-laminate either, but like a thin, stiff fine weave canvas. ... BUT, I'd like to know the best material to use). Also, the person said they use a special glue, which he also said they cannot ship to Canada. I know the glue is also not aquaseal, but some type of contact cement. The rep confirmed that much.

I asked if 'regular' contact cement (i.e. 3-M, Scotch, etc. ... the yellow stuff you can buy anywhere) would harm the suit. He did not know.

SO - to anyone out there who's done this repair themselves, what glue did you use, and what type of cloth?

Thanks in advance.

I posted this on another forum:
Funny you should ask!! I had the same thing happen, I lost the piece of suspenders that was sewn into the suit. Tried using a heat gun to remove the disk that is attached to the suit. But just ended up with a thin piece of material that was of no use.
You know how on some 3mil kind of gloves they have a strap w/velcro that you pull around your wrist to tighten? I took this strap and used gorilla glue to glue it back into the suit. Then ran the strap w/velcro through the suspender. Done, seems to work and holding much to my surprise.

Al

Clean the surfaces with a little toluene then leave to dry. Clean a second time. You need just a wee bit of toluene - idea is to clean the surface so that 2 part glue can be used.

Use 2 part glue (Bostik 2402) or equivalent in North America. When gluing try to use a small decorating roller so that the glue spreads round evenly and then leave for 24 hours so that the glue bonds to maximum strength. If you are pushed for time 2 hours is enough for a bond but 24 hours gives a better bond.

Hope that helps. AFAIK you can get Bostik 2402 in Canada but you might need to look around for it on the web for a local supplier.

BTW 2 part glue is often what is used for reparing ribs just in case you have not heard of it or terminolgy is different in North America. BTW for protective backing material you could use a bit of DS material and then attach the suspender backing to that - the trick is to let the glue bond for a good while and then keep an eye on the suspender to make sure it has bonded.

Thanks. I can't source Bostik 2402 anywhere near me (Vancoiver Island) in a hurry, at least not searching on the internet. I'm at the 'ready to glue' stage today... sewed the tab to a circle of fabric that I cut off an old DUI weight and trim harness (new style with more fabric) that didn't stand up to regular diving. At least the patch is 'in the family', so to speak. :)

Hi Sunnyboy,

This is Kathy Long with DUI. I came across your post. I just got off the phone with Pam Oliva in our office in San Diego. In case anyone ever wants to talk to Pam directly her telephone number at DUI is 619-236-1203 ext 319. You can also reach her at our toll-free number at 800-325-8439 ext. 319. Pam is my go to person when I have any question about just how to do something. She is awesome.

It sounds to me like your immediate question is on the adhesive to use. Pam says you can use any adhesive available in your local dive shop. From standard wetsuit cement, to the adhesive used to remove and replace latex seals. Bostik 2404 also works great but if you cannot get it how great is that... . So again any adhesive at your local dive shop. The trick is to make sure and use three coats and let the first two dry completely. Pam says if you have any questions on this please call her.

From your thread it sounds like you are well past this point but if you like we can mail you suspender tabs for your drysuit. This goes for anyone that has a similar issue. We have modified the manufacturing process on the suspender tabs and they are replaceable. The change here produced less stress on the suspender tabs. It sounds like your DUI may be older and has the older attachment process. If you would like me to have a set mailed to you just let me know. You can PM me or email me at Kathy@DUI-Online.com.

The material that is used on the suspender tabs is a tri-laminate polyester material. The material on the W&T is Cordura and that will also work well.

Also and just an FYI if you ever need a bit of fabric for something like this please just give Pam a call and she will drop it in the mail.

So sorry that we did not 'overwhelm' you with our Customer Support. I am going to make a note of this and pass it around the office. We really do love our customers!!!

Hope this helps.

One last thing we have a repair guide on our website at http://www.dui-online.com/pdf/drysuit_repair_outline.pdf which covers the basics pretty well.

Thank you,

Kathy

Thanks very much Kathy for the reply. In the end I used LePage 'Pres-Tite-Blue' Contact Cement to glue the cloth side of the cordura disk (with suspender tab re-sewn) to the exposed cloth side of the existing attached disk. I'm comfortable using contact cement (alll the coats, drying time, etc.). In the end the new disk seems to be quite properly attached. The proof will be in the diving. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom