DUI stock size fit me??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bertschb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm 6' 3 1/2" tall, weight 208lbs, have a 38" waist and size 12 shoes. Will a stock XL size fit me? I'm mainly concerned about the height and shoe size. I assume it will be a little baggy. Is there anybody out there my size diving with a stock XL size DUI suit?

My local dive shop says I need a custom size (he hasn't measured me, he said that over the phone). Those suits are already SO DANG EXPENSIVE I just don't want to pay an additional $300 for a custom size if I don't have to.

Thanks!

Welcome to the boards!!

There are sizing charts on the DUI website Here

hope that helps!!!!
if it doesn't.....

$300 is a small price to pay for a perfect fit!!:)

Hi bertschb,

Please post if you do have the opportunity to try one on and find out - given those measurements you sound like my twin.

Thanks for the reply (and the link). I've checked the sizing charts several times before but they don't even seem close. Am I that unusual??? The reason I'm asking about the stock XL is because I thought I saw a post somewhere where a guy was about my size and used a stock XL and he said it fit great.

Normally I wouldn't think twice about the extra cost of a custom fit but I'm not even sure how much I'll be diving. I was certified 25 years ago but haven't really dove since the 80's. I'd like to get back into it but no longer have a dive partner. I need a dry suit to try it again but $2,000+ for a suit and $400 for dive wear is pretty steep for what amounts to a test dive. Nobody in my area rents a suit that will fit me so I need to but something to give it a try again.

I cannot imagine buying an off-the-shelf drysuit.

The catalogs for these suits have special instructions for measuring yourself. When you send in the measurements, you get a customized suit. Then the fit is perfect.

You are about to spend $1500 or more for a drysuit that will last you 5 to 10 years.

It really makes sense to custom order it!

Ooookaaayyy......

Sounds like I might as well go all the way. If scuba was my primary (or even secondary) interest this would be a no brainer. But, scuba is what I'd like to do if there isn't any snow in the mountains, it's too cloudy to fly, not warm enough to water ski and too wet and cold to ride my mountain bike. Scuba is the only sport I participate in where the weather doesn't really matter all that much.

Anyway, I'm planning on stopping by my local dive shop tomorrow to look at these suits. I just hope the pro at the shop is familiar with them.

Thanks for the input. I've learned a GREAT DEAL from this forum about all the new developments in diving. You are all a great help.

I found myself in a similar situation... not a stock size but couldn't really afford a DUI custom fit. Here's how it worked out:

My LDS went ahead and sent in my measurements and told DUI that I wanted a stock size with alterations (appearently DUI does thiat for an extra $100). The hope was that DUI would realize that it would be easier for them to do a custom fit than it would be to alter a stock suit. DUI came to that conclusion so I ended up with a custom suit for $100 over a stock suit (I would have needed an XXL so with the XXL oversize charge, it ended up the same price).

I don't know how much this was due to my LDS's relationship with DUI (knowing the right people) and how much it was just DUI but it placed a custom fit DUI within my price range - happy camper.

I wish I'd seen your post sooner. Since if your in the PNW, you could've attended the dui demo days at Les Pier in Tacoma this weekend and test dived any dui equipment you wanted.

I just bought a dui cf200 online and had to rely on the measurements chart. The critical thing here is that you MUST have someone else measure you in order to get accurate measurements. If you don't have someone, find a local tailor; I bet they'd do it for you for a modest tip.

Another important tip if you're using the online size guiedes, they are different for different dui suit models. Make sure you're looking at the chart for the model you intend to purchase.

I called dui first and gave them my height, weight and shoe size and asked if a standard xl-s would fit me. They said it wasn't possible to know without taking the full set of 15 measurements (actually they were most interested in less than 10 of them). Once I had been measured I saw that, in general, I was in range on the xl-s. I called dui again and read them off a series of measurements. They told me that while no off the rack suit is going to fit anybody perfectly in every single way, that the xl-s sounded like a good fit for me. I bought it and I'm very happy with the fit. I am 5'11, 208lbs, wear size 36-38 waist pants depending on the cut, and size 10 shoes. But using the dui measurements guide, my waste is 43in; so that's why it's important to follow their instructions in order to get the proper measurements.

Here's at least a partial list of dui dealers in the Pacific NorthWest, since that's where you appear to hail from. http://www.dui-online.com/newsite/dog_lesdavis_2003.htm

Hope that helps.

-k

I bought a DUI 450 and ended up with a stock Large. I did have my dive shop take all the measurements. I was mostly in the range on all the measurements, but some were towards the end of the range pushing a X-Large. We called up DUI and they confirmed that Large would be good for me. I have no complaints. It fits me very well. I'm 6'0", 200 lbs, size 10 feet, 34-36" waist.

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom