DUI Signature Series or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trymixdiver

Reaction score
let me ask all the DUI owners out there if they got a stock suit or a Signature series.

also, are the features of the signature suit worth the extra money and the long wait. ( i can buy a stock suit now and dive this weekend or wait for the sig series suit to be made). Keep in mind that i am a stock size Large. So i dont have to get the SS.

your comments would help me to make this choice.

is this too much suit for what i am going to use it for.

Andy

Mostly beach dives, some boat diving and some wreck diving. Very little penatration if any at all. I mainly want a tough suit that will stand up to my dive style and conditions.

I went with the Signature Series. The reason is actually a compilation of little reasons...here's what happened.

1) Wanted a DUI - tried a bunch on - ordered a stock small because that is what fit me best of all the ones I tried on (I am 5'10", 155#, 30" waist).

2) Went home, looked around the website to be sure, and got spooked by the stock size chart that said a small was for people that stood 5'4".

3) Called my buddy (we both ordered suits) and he got spooked with me so we went back in, got measured, and switched to Special Production (custom).

4) Got a call from the shop (who had gotten a call from DUI) telling us that since we each were having DUI put on 2 velcro pockets ($100 each installed) it would actually be $10 cheaper to just go ahead and get the Signature Series (comes with the 2 pockets, kevlar kneepads, and a hood). We changed our orders and about 4-5 weeks later that is what we got.

The suits are great, they fit absolutely perfectly. I couldn't be happier and I am glad I went this route instead of another manufacturer (I almost did) or a stock. Then again, if you actually fit into a stock, the customs are a TON more money...I wanted a stock, it just wasn't in the cards with my proportions.

I used to dive a large size stock 350, then went with a Signature Series (SS). The downside was the increased cost and waiting, but it was worth it and I'd do it again.

IIRC, the additions to the SS over the stock are customization, hood, color inserts :rolleyes:, warm neck collar, and pockets. Except for the color inserts, those are all valuable options.

The custom sizing also provides strong reinforcement to stay in shape. :)

Don't forget to get a P-valve! :wink:

Except for the color inserts, those are all valuable options.
I like my color inserts...I already had too much black gear!

trymixdiver once bubbled...

Mostly beach dives, some boat diving and some wreck diving. Very little penatration if any at all. I mainly want a tough suit that will stand up to my dive style and conditions.

If the stock suit will fit you, go for it. I wouldn't waste my money on the sig series if I didn't have to. Not sure how much crawling you do with beach dives, but if this causes abuse to the knees or if your buoyancy skills are marginal, consider kevlar knee and/or elbow pads. Don't bother getting the latex hood. I had two rip in a 2 month period and watched another rip on my friend's suit. No abuse involved. Stick with a quality wet hood.

I have over 250 dives on my TLS350 front entry trilam in the last 20 months, and it's still performing strong. Maintenance and care are the keys.

HTH,
wb

O-ring wrote...

I like my color inserts...I already had too much black gear!
Well, I like mine too...they're just not in the same league as the other options.

:)

...for clarification.

1) The hood that comes with it can be either the latex hood that cwb mentions or it can be the warm neck hood, which is a really nice (I like it better than my Henderson Gold Core hood) wetsuit hood that tucks under the neck piece.

2) cwb is right about the kevlar kneepads...they aren't necessary, but don't necessarily hurt anything either. If you have them put on the pockets (2 of them) go with the SS...cheaper and you get the hood and kneepads to boot.

I went with the signature series only because by the time I priced the stock suit and the signature series suit, the signature series suit was cheaper by $100 or so.

BTW, I do have an attached latex hood on both of my DUI suits and would never get a suit without one (as long as I'm diving in the NE, that is). I have never had a problem with it tearing. I have well over 100 dives on the old suit/hood and probably about 70-80 dives on the new suit/hood with no problems. My buddy has been using a latex hood for many, many years with no problems. The only problem he has had is when he didn't wear it and got an ear infection.:(

Well i thank you all for posting your comments, this has helped a bunch. Feel free to add more, i wont be making a final desicion until Wed or thur of this week. I am having my room-mate measure me tonight and will forward that to my dealer, he will let me know what size to get or if i should get the SS.

My order form has a EE balanced P valve listed as an option so i will have them do it.

I do want pockets and a p valve, rock boots, kevlar knee pads may be a good idea. sounds like i may as well get the SS if i am getting the above options.

These suits are expensive, do i get frys with it too :)

Andy

so you guys/girls dont think this is way more suit than i need for beach and occasional boat diving?

trymixdiver once bubbled...
I am having my room-mate measure me tonight and will forward that to my dealer, he will let me know what size to get or if i should get the SS.
Just a suggestion Andy... if the dealer advises you to get the SS version then have the dealer re-measure you. If the suit comes back from DUI and doesn't fit... you want it to be someone other than your room-mates fault.

Back
Top Bottom