DUI Shoulder entry VS. Self donning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divebouy

Registered
Reaction score
I noticed that the CF200SE is about 300 dollars cheaper than the front zip design. I was wondering if it is worth spending the extra bucks for the self donning design? I know the disadvantage of the shoulder entry is that you need help zipping and unzipping, but is that the only reasons? I don't beach dive, would turbo soles be more comfortable or are the Rockboots a better choice? Sorry for the winded questions. Any and all opinions are appreciated.

Divebouy:
I noticed that the CF200SE is about 300 dollars cheaper than the front zip design. I was wondering if it is worth spending the extra bucks for the self donning design? I know the disadvantage of the shoulder entry is that you need help zipping and unzipping, but is that the only reasons? I don't beach dive, would turbo soles be more comfortable or are the Rockboots a better choice? Sorry for the winded questions. Any and all opinions are appreciated.

Self entry is so worth it! Spend it. You will spend like 1500 and then wish you'd spent the other 15%

Will you always have a buddy convenient to zip you up? That is the only difference.

Comfort is very personal. I have dived both and found both comfortable. I prefer the Rock Boots for the better durability and for keeping air out of the feet. Some of my buddies want the air in their feet for additional warmth.

Either rent both before you buy or go to a DUI DOG Days event so you can try several models before buying.

If you cannot wait, just buy one--they're all great suits.

theskull

Doc Intrepid:
just wait til you come up one day and really need to get out of that suit bad... :D

self-don/doff is worth the extra.

I remember a hot day this past September where I decided to call it a little early and left the water outsides Ducks Dive with the three other divers still in.

I had to pee like a racehorse and it was HOT. They descended again and I thought someone was still around at the dive shop. They were actually in the back of the locked house and couldn't hear too well.

Well lemme tell you. I almost needed an ice bucket and a pee valve. I tried hooking that shoulder zipper on everything to undo it. Finally I was able to attract Susan from Duck's attention by knocking insanely at the door. She was nice enough to let me out in the nick of time.

Next suit? Self entry.

I can see where a need to get out quickly could happen! However between the two styles, I thought the front entry was bulky on my chest whereas I don't notice the rear zip.

Two things though: 1 some divers are flexible enough to reach their own shoulder zipper, and I saw a guy who kept a hook in his dive bag to reach his zipper and did just fine.
-----------------
D.C.C.

BuoyantC:
Two things though: 1 some divers are flexible enough to reach their own shoulder zipper, and I saw a guy who kept a hook in his dive bag to reach his zipper and did just fine.
-----------------
D.C.C.

I've seen one of those guys too. Never seen an individual who could pull the zipper unassisted without the hook though. What contortionist show is he travelling with? ;-)

The hook scares me with my crappy bi-lam because I can see me knocking a hole in it.

Unzipping a back loader isn't difficult for those with decent flexibility. Zipping one up by yourself can be done by hooking the zipper loop on a stationary object, slightly pulling away from it and then rolling your shoulders to zip. The problem with zipping up a back loader is the chance of getting undergarment caught in the zip.

My first two drysuits were back loaders and I could unzip myself. Now all my suits are *self-entry* (one diagonal across the chest, one across the front of the upper chest and one around the back to the clavicals), I always dive with a buddy and all three suits have p-valves.

Still, I think the extra $$ for self-entry is definitely worth it.

Uncle Pug:
Unzipping a back loader isn't difficult for those with decent flexibility. Zipping one up by yourself can be done by hooking the zipper loop on a stationary object, slightly pulling away from it and then rolling your shoulders to zip. The problem with zipping up a back loader is the chance of getting undergarment caught in the zip.

My first two drysuits were back loaders and I could unzip myself. Now all my suits are *self-entry* (one diagonal across the chest, one across the front of the upper chest and one around the back to the clavicals), I always dive with a buddy and all three suits have p-valves.

Still, I think the extra $$ for self-entry is definitely worth it.

Off to buy that yoga mat I saw at the supermarket. :)

Hooking it is a good way to F'up the zipper--be careful---those zippers are like 300 bones!

Back
Top Bottom