DUI SE versions, what is the difference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaFeenD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking for some experienced viewpoints here. What exactly is the difference between the TLS SE and the TLS 350. I know the SE is supposed to be a cheaper version, but are other things different? For instance, what is the fit like, and how does it dive compared to a TLS350? Is the price difference worth it?

I am considering a TLS and have found a stock one that should fit rather cheap (1600), but I am thinking i might not need one that costs even that much.

I have no extended experience with either (And 0 experience with the SE version) so any guidance from those in the know would be super appreciated.

Thanks
-ddd

I believe the SE stands for "shoulder entry"...my dive buddy has a CLXse and really likes it. The TLS 350 and TLS 450 are both front entry suits.

SE = shoulder entry

It's my understanding that the TLS SE is made of the same trilaminate shell material as the TLS 350. The main difference is that the TLS 350 has a diagonal front zipper that permits self-zip. On account of the front zip, the TLS 350 has a little extra collapsible material (slack) that is taken up by a crotch strap. Since a diver climbs into a shoulder entry suit, there's no need for that extra material and crotch strap.

You'll have to decide whether the convenience of a front zipper is worth the additional cost of the 350 vs. the SE. Another option is the Whites Fusion suit. Try out the drysuits before purchasing anything if you can. DUI has "demo" days and so does Whites. I believe that the demo schedules are posted on their respective websites.

My drysuit is not a DUI, but it is a shoulder-entry suit. I like it a lot.

Hope this helps...

Hi Bubbletrubble - Great news! We will have both models available to test dive at our DUI DOG Rally & Demo days in San Diego Saturday March 20th at National Polytechnic College of Science. If you purchase your tickets in advance they are only $10. More information is available at 2010 DUI DOG Rally&Demo Tour - test our drysuits, divewear and more.

The TLS350 and the TLS350SE are made with the same materials and constructed the same. Same 7 year warranty, etc.,. The fit is quite different and trying on and diving them will give you that first hand knowledge.

Can you make it out to the DOG Rally?

Thanks,

Kathy

Hi Bubbletrubble - Great news! We will have both models available to test dive at our DUI DOG Rally & Demo days in San Diego Saturday March 20th at National Polytechnic College of Science. If you purchase your tickets in advance they are only $10. More information is available at 2010 DUI DOG Rally&Demo Tour - test our drysuits, divewear and more.

The TLS350 and the TLS350SE are made with the same materials and constructed the same. Same 7 year warranty, etc.,. The fit is quite different and trying on and diving them will give you that first hand knowledge.

Can you make it out to the DOG Rally?
Kathy,

I was just responding to the OP's question regarding DUI drysuits. I am not currently in the market for a drysuit. I think the DOG Demo rally is great. I preferred it when you guys held it at La Jolla Shores. It's a shame that we can't test the drysuits out in the open ocean. The Shores is really perfect for that.

I will probably be participating in the Whites Drysuit Demo at La Jolla Shores. It's free, the new Bullet skin looks interesting, and I'll get to dive it in the ocean. Don't get me wrong, the $10 that DUI will charge for the demo is a very reasonable price for trying out a drysuit...but I really don't want to go out of my way to the National Polytechnic College. La Jolla Shores is practically my backyard.

I hope that you guys have a successful event. You guys make great suits. My buddies who own them really like them.

Back
Top Bottom