DUI FLX Extreme Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do a mix of shore and boat dives but mostly boat dives these days. The sole on the TurboTec sole is the same as the TurboSoles - it's the overlay over the top of the foot that's different. I've done plenty of walking in my suit for cave diving and beach diving but they typically aren't really rocky, barnacle-y spots so I don't have much experience on that type of surface.

I just bought a FLX Extreme and love it. I ordered mine with turbo soles. I've been diving turbo soles since 2003 (TLS350, with only one incident in all that time, and I dive from rocky shores most of the time.

My only turbo sole "incident" was in 2005 diving at a lake in Alberta. Walking along a wooden dock with twin LP104's and my toe caught between two boards. I ended up taking a header into the lake and also ended up with a tiny tear in the toe of my left turbo sole. I was able to mostly patch it with aquaseal, but eventually DUI replaced the turbo soles in 2009 when I sent the suit in for a new zipper.

Otherwise that's it. Again, mostly shore diving on Vancouver Island, with some entries being very rocky. I'm more worried about twisting an ankle than harming a turbo sole.

My concern is walking on very sharp rocks on shore with pointy tips and barnacles. I had the turbo sole also turn upside down on my foot few times when walking with it shore diving.

It's now Jan 2016 and I'm still loving my FLX Extreme. It's really an awesome suit. I bought 4th element Arctic undergarments for the suit and really like them as well. So far the only problem was due to a torn silicone neck seal (my fault - too rough taking off in Dec on a very cold day). Love the fit of this suit.

My FLX will be one year old in a few weeks. It has been in lakes, caves, and quarries and by far is the best dry suit I have ever owned. The quality of construction has proven to be excellent. I had an issue with the exhaust valve and DUI took care of it without any hassle. While waiting for it to be repaired I pulled out my Hollis BioDry and was reminded of what diving a cheap dry suit is like! If the FLX suit ever wears out I will definitely be buying another DUI.

I've had my FLX about three years, also purchased from HD and Karim. I love it. I have pretty much the same configuration as you except Turbo soles, latex seals and I don't have the TiZIP. I just had the zipper replaced, very minor leak but it was aggravating particularly now that winter has come. Interesting what you said about sleeve length. I've always thought my sleeves are an inch or so long. At least they completely cover my zip seals down to my wrist so maybe that's not so bad. To HD's credit they initially told me we could look at the sleeve length and think about sending it back to get them shortened by I didn't want to bother. Isn't really any problem when diving, they just seem long putting it on.

Back
Top Bottom