DUI fabric drysuit (350, 450, etc) fit questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt S.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I bought a used BCD off a fella on Craigslist today, and while I was there I saw that he was also selling a DUI CLX450 drysuit, size men's large. I didn't want to take up more of his evening so I noted what he had and left to do some reading on it.

I checked the DUI size chart:

http://www.dui-online.com/dry_fbr_sizing.htm

I am 69" tall, have some extra insulation at 215 lbs, and have an inseam of 30", so the men's L looks like it would fit. BUT--it seems like all the DUIs are long in the legs and arms: the L lists a 35-36" inseam. Heck, the minimum inseam on that chart is 32", on the smallest, shortest stock size. And the minimum shoulder-wrist distance is 27-28"! I'm typically proportioned in the arms, and I measure 22" there.

Before I start talking to this guy about a trip to try it on, and pricing, I was hoping some other users might have comments about how these things are supposed to fit.

Thanks in advance!

I've got a CNse large and I'm 32 inseam and the legs are overkill for me but I only notice it when I'm putting it on. Other than that we're the same size. Nothing says you can't try it on in the shop.

Please understand that I am a bit larger than you, at 6' tall and 220 lbs I am almost a perfect fit for a size XL. I own a CLx450 and have used rental TLS350's as well. Older 450's are cut a little narrower in the torso than the 350. I have heard that DUI was aware of this, and has changed the patterns slightly to get the 450 to a more standard finished size.

If you are going to try on any dry suit don't forget the undergarments. You should wear the thickest undergarments you feel you will use and do some range of motion exercises. Fit is key in a dry suit. When you are wearing those thick undergarments the suit must be loose enough to allow you unrestricted motion, but it should not be so large that it can hold too much extra air, or have fabric folds or bunches that are in the way.

A dry suit is a pretty big investment, if you can, get instruction, and use different rental suits to give you some idea of the entire range of options in sizes and features. A suit that is inexpensive, but does not fit is a poor choice. Remember you will be diving in this suit so fit out of the water can be misleading, if possible try the suit in the water.

With any used dry suit you need to plan on replacing the wrist and neck seals. Even if the existing seals are in perfect shape, if the previous owner trimmed them to fit they might be too large for you. There might also be some small holes or tears as well. Put extra cash in your plan to pay for repairs. I would say that an extra $500 should be enough to deal with almost any reasonable repairs on an otherwise good suit. If the suit is in bad shape, you could easily end up paying more than if you had just gotten a brand new suit from your shop of choice.

Good luck,

Mark Vlahos

Thanks everyone. Sounds like I am in the ballpark at least.

Back
Top Bottom