DUI DOG Rally and Demo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ron63

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Last year during a DUI DOG Rally and Demo, the dive shop I patronize offered a drysuit specialty course. My wife, oldest daughter, and I took the course. The only dives we did in the srysuit were the required skills dives. No long swims were made. This year during the Rally my son was able to take the course so yesterday we made the drive to Pelham, Alabama and he got drysuit certified and I just dove in a drysuit. Now you have to realize that this was only my thrid and fourth dive in a drysuit...ever. I was a little over weighted and had to use fins from the DUI demo equipment, but we made a twenty minute swim around the querry. We averaged 40 feet of depth and I used 1500 pounds of air in that twenty minutes! I could not believe how much drag there was (I had) with the drysuit. Some of you that are more experienced with a drysuit may be able to answer this question, but was this normal? I mean is there always a lot of drag or was it just the combination of fins that did not fit well and being overweighted? Is there as much drag in a neoprene drysuit as a shell type suit? Would like to try a neoprene suit for myself but alas, I cannot just yet.

Thanks,

Ron

Yep, alot of drag. Imagine diving with the drysuit, now add doubles, oh and you need to add a couple of deco bottles. Oh yea, your can lights and everything else.

Now that is drag...
and somehow we manage to do it all the time.

Your gas consumption will get better as you dive dry more often.

J:

I had a similar experience during my first dry suit dive also at a DUI Dog Demo. For me it was combination of too much weight and neck seal being a bit loose which periodically "burped air". Proper weighting, good fitting equipment and some more dives should help.

While a drysuit (especially a trilam) will have more drag, chances are it was due to other factors. Namely body position, being uncomfortable in unfamiliar equipment, and different fins (wearing fins that don't fit will kill your SAC rate as they're not efficient for kicking so you don't go anywhere and are thus forced to kick more). I don't see drag being the significant factor...

I definately had to kick more with the fins I was using. It felt like I was going nowhere. I cannot imagine diving doubles and deco bottles with a drysuit. Would still like to hear from the neoprene crowd on the drag they experience. From what I have read, I think I would like a neoprene suit better than a shell and undergarments.

Ron

ron63:
I definately had to kick more with the fins I was using. It felt like I was going nowhere. I cannot imagine diving doubles and deco bottles with a drysuit. Would still like to hear from the neoprene crowd on the drag they experience. From what I have read, I think I would like a neoprene suit better than a shell and undergarments.

Ron
Trust me...drag isn't the issue here. :) Kicking in doubles in a drysuit isn't a problem if you're properly trimmed out and have a pair of decent (read: Jets or Turtles) fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom