Dui 450clx

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeguerrero

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

I'm new to drysuits and just picked up a CLX450 over the weekend with the rock boots and am very excited about going dry.

I just don't know what type of hood to get, neck seal or standard. Also I don't know what size? How about the undergarment, there are so many to choose from. I dive Monterey and it's very cold 48-54 degrees.

I tried on the rental undergarment at Sports Chalet and didn't like the bulky feel, do they have anything else?

Also, I'm interested in pockets for my suit, I like the Cordura but don't know the size or if you recommend the zipper versus the velcro?

Lastly, any idea on whether to get the blue hard style gloves versus the orange dexterity? Do they come with the wool liner or is that extra.

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited:
Hello,

I'm new to drysuits and just picked up a CLX450 over the weekend with the rock boots and am very excited about going dry.

I just don't know what type of hood to get, neck seal or standard. Also I don't know what size? How about the undergarment, there are so many to choose from. I dive Monterey and it's very cold 48-54 degrees.

I tried on the rental undergarment at Sports Chalet and didn't like the bulky feel, do they have anything else?

Also, I'm interested in pockets for my suit, I like the Cordura but don't know the size or if you recommend the zipper versus the velcro?

Lastly, any idea on whether to get the blue hard style gloves versus the orange dexterity? Do they come with the wool liner or is that extra.

Thanks,

Mike

Congratulations!! I too have the 450. It's a great suit.

For your diving I'd get the neck collar. The difference is the standard hood ends at the bottom of the neck, where the neck collar extends down and across the shoulders. The 450 will have material around the neck/shoulders that you can tuck the neck collar into and keep you even more warm.

If you don't like bulk, then you'll want to go with garments made from Thinsulate. The only problem with Thinsulate is you really can't wash it (messes up the thermal properties). I ended up with garments from Fourth Element (SubXero) and they are super warm. I'm diving a bit colder than you though (38-50F). Also remember that layering is your friend. Buy some cold weather Under Armor (or similar) as a base layer. That will go a long way in keeping you warm and may allow you to go with a thinner garment.

Everyone I know loves the bellows pockets (the big ones) with velcro. When diving cold temperatures the zipper can be a pain to operate with heavy gloves on.

I can't help on the dry gloves as I haven't gone that route yet.

i'll second above post.

i also have the fourth element which is great (keep in mind the layering comment above). when i go ice diving however, i use the weezle extreme + jumpsuit. it's way more bulky but its worth it.

the big leg pockets are worth their weight in gold. i have added some "hair braiding balls" (or whatever you may call it) to the zipper ties to work them better with big gloves.

Hi Mike!

Congrats on becoming a new DOG!!

The warm neck hood will keep your neck warmer because it overlaps the latex seal. The latex seal itself does not provide any thermal protection. Therefore, it is definitely a benefit to have that extra collar to keep your neck warm. As mentioned above, the collar of the hood tucks nice and neat into the collar surrounding the seal (the warm neck collar).

For your needs, the Polartec Powerstretch 300 Jumpsuit should be perfect based on your water temperatures and your desire to not have bulk. These are extremely comfortable and flexible. I noticed a huge difference when I switched over to them. The Powestretch can be made to fit closer to your body because they are so stretchy. Therefore, they will not feel as bulky as the ActionWear you tried on.

In regards to the pockets, there are pros and cons to both styles. The velcro Bellows pocket is our largest pocket. It is a low-profile pocket in that it lays close to your leg. Some people feel uncomfortable with the Bellows close feature as the sides have a gap. However, there is a D-ring inside that you can attach any float awayables :). The Bellows pocket comes in 2 sizes...Standard = 11inX7in or Small = 9.5inX6in.

The Zipper pocket also comes in 2 sizes...Standard = 9.5inX6in or Small = 6inX6in. A benefit of this pocket is the zipper opens and closes from both sides which more or less ensures the entire pocket is closed. Some people find the pocket to be a bit on the bulky side, but easier to manipulate with thick gloves on.

Below is a description of DUI's dry glove options...the liners do come with the gloves.

ZipGlove descriptions...
Maximum Dexterity (orange) - dry gloves with the most dexterity, you just want to be careful putting your hands down or scraping the gloves over any kind of sharp surface, because they are not as durable as some of the others.
Heavy-Duty (HD) (blue) -dry gloves that are twice as thick as the orange gloves, more durable, less dexterity
Neoprene -dry gloves that are by far the most durable, but take a little getting used to in the dexterity department :). These gloves are excellent if you are a hands-on type of person or if you like to lobster dive.

The orange and blue gloves are also available with a Dam option (WD). The Dam is an inner seal on the glove that prevents the suit from flooding should you puncture the glove.

Thanks again,

Jessica
DUI

Wow Jessica,

You really went out of your way to explain in detail all my newbie questions. Thanks for welcoming me as a DOG.

I went ahead and placed an order for the warm neck hood since it combines with my CLX450 warm neck collar. I measured my crown and my neck and your guys recommended a large.

I'm going to be placing my order for a set of compressed neoprene gloves and the Polartec Powerstretch 300 Jumpsuit. The gloves should be a small but I'm unsure if I should get a Medium for the powerstretch suit?

I will go with the Velcro Bellows large on both sides as I don't like zippers, I struggle with the ones on my BC already.

Once again, thanks for the wonderful feedback and the excellent customer service when I phoned you guys directly...

Mike G

Congrats Mike! I cant wait to see your suit. I'll have to upgrade to a DUI when I raise some $$. I've been spending too much on this UW photo habit lately.

Hi Mike,

I am glad you found the information useful! I know you will love your choice in undergarments.

Happy Diving,

Jessica
DUI

Hi Jessica,

I wanted to tell you that I got back my CLX 450 with the bellow standard pockets, CF 200 kneepads, CF 200 elbow pads and a set of Compressed Neoprene gloves, love the work you guys did, so much attention to detail.

Okay so I read the instructions on how to snap in Zip neck seal with just a tad of dish soap/water and the zeal snaps right into place, very easy.

Then I move to the gloves, again without a problem they snap into play. Okay so now I remember to talc the neck seal for my noggin to fit, no problem.

But hold up, wait just a second, by running my left hand into the suit and driving it into place, I reach over with my right and repeat the step, no problem up until I lose all dexterity of my fingers.

They are now fat little fingers and not too useful. I reach over with just the tips of my gloves and I pull the latex seal and the noggin pops right through but the neck seal is overlapping and I cannot adjust it by myself.

Is there a problem with my procedure to enter this suit? Do I require a friend to adjust the neck seal with his bare hands?

In frustration I pull back the overlapping neck seal with my fat gloves and pull out the noggin.

There has to be an easier way, yes? I need help, I don't want to use other gloves since I've invested a pretty penny on these, and yes they are super comfortable and warm, very warm.

Thanks for any input...

MG

Is there a problem with my procedure to enter this suit? Do I require a friend to adjust the neck seal with his bare hands?

There has to be an easier way, yes?

You continue to learn, excellent!

Today's lesson is the definition of "self-donning" - of or referring to a piece of dive gear that can be put on and taken off with some help from at least one other person.

Your next lesson will involve learning a new definition of the word "dry" which ironically contains one or more of the following phrases: somewhat damp, very wet, or completely soaked.

:D

I need help, I don't want to use other gloves since I've invested a pretty penny on these, and yes they are super comfortable and warm, very warm.

You've also had your umpteenth lesson in not buying something before you've thought it through completely and/or tried it out. This general approach usually costs the typical diver about $2,000 in "oops" purchases before they really internalize this one. You're probably right about there by now.

Lastly, I find it very funny that you'll observe that the gloves are "super comfortable and very, very warm" when you've only worn them in YOUR HOUSE at this point. (Do I need to go back and post the link and pictures of you extolling the comfort virtues of your since replaced SeaQuest BCD while wearing it in your bedroom just a few short months ago?)

We've all been through it Mike. You'll get there too!

:D

Hi Mike,

There is an easier way to don your suit and, yes, even with the dry neoprene Zipgloves, your suit can be a self-don...just a little learning curve :).

The trick to putting on your DUI with Zipgloves is to put the head in first. This way you can adjust your neck seal so that it lays flat against your neck in a comfortable place. After your neck seal is situated, put your left arm in first followed by the right, then, zip it on up.

It is true that, on the surface, the neoprene Zipgloves feel like you have less dexterity than some of the others. However, underwater I think you will find them to be comparable to a 5mm wet glove as far as dexterity...just be patient with getting used to them on the surface and within a few tries you should be good to go. People have really been loving those gloves.

You are right in your assessment of the gloves being warm. Some people are staying warm enough in the neoprene Zipgloves without even using the liner. This also allows for more dexterity.

Let me know if there is anything more I can help you with.

Thanks,

Jessica
DUI

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom