DUI 400g Thinsulate Jumpsuit - Slow Venting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mahjong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone worn the DUI 400g Thinsulate Ultra jumpsuit (the pre-XM450 model with purple sleeves) and found that venting air through the arm is difficult? If so, does anyone have any solutions? I'm tempted to puncture a couple holes in the suit on the left upper arm.

Nope.. no problems venting at all. Vent early and often. Get into a good rhythm of dumping gas from your suit and BC... Are you sure its your undergarment that's the issue? Sometimes those exhaust valves do get sticky.

Ben, i actually made some holes :)

I have DUI's heaviest Polartec Powerstretch jumpsuit (worn for years and now find it is just not enough, esp in a shell suit--still fine in compressed neoprene), I have a Northern Diver Metalux 300 (not enough in a shell suit, fine in compressed neoprene), I have rented and worn once the DUI XM450 (BEAUTIFUL suit, the Cadillac, but not ready to spend 500+)--all vent quickly and smoothly with a bump up of my arm. I dove yesterday (Lobos) in my new DUI 400g jumpsuit and found the venting noticeably slow and difficult--had to labor to get the air out (VERY warm though!).

Nope.. no problems venting at all. Vent early and often. Get into a good rhythm of dumping gas from your suit and BC... Are you sure its your undergarment that's the issue? Sometimes those exhaust valves do get sticky.

I think I'll give it a few dives before I modify, and add a couple pounds of weight. I'm not sure how much holes would help anyway, if the air is being trapped within the fibers. I think I can get used to the slow venting, and maybe the venting will improve after the fibers get broken in a bit.

It does vent more slowly than other undergarments I own, but if you stay on top of it, no big deal. I didn't modify mine.

I have heard others complaining about the venting efficiency on the DUI 400g as well. This is probably going to sound dumb, but what drysuit are you wearing? Reason I ask this, some other manufacturers, Not D.U.I., are putting their valves in the wrong location and this leads to poor venting efficiency.

Here is a photo of what I am talking about:
IMG_0078.jpg

Valve needs to be on outside of bicep!

Just thought I would give another possible reason!

I dive with the 400g all the time, just takes practice to get used to it. I wouldn't modify it, esp not with holes.

That picture is exactly my problem. Funny thing, it's also a Bare. Great suit , except for the hard to vent issue.

I just spend the weekend switching between a Whites MK2, DUI 300g, and a DUI 400g, bc my drysuit was leaking every dive... I definitely noticed an efficiency difference re venting with the 400g. I don't think holes are going to make a difference, however, I think it's just a matter of learning how to manage and/or "stay ahead of" the adjustments when wearing that type/level of thermal protection.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom