DUI 30/30 review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jepuskar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
DUI 30/30 Review

Sandy and I arrived at Haigh Quarry around 3:00pm on Friday. It was sunny, warm, around 85 degrees with a slight breeze. The conditions were really close to your typical Caribbean climate. This is important to note because how the 30/30 performs on the surface is as important as how it does in the water.

I would be diving the DUI 30/30 with DUI’s Action Wear 150 as my undergarment. Cold water booties would be on my feet, with no gloves or hood. Sandy would be diving a DUI TLS350, Weezle Extreme+ as her undergarment, hood, and dry gloves. The temperature at 20 feet in Haigh is somewhere between 75 – 79 degrees right now, and that is where our dives would take place.

We got our gear together and I asked Sandy to hold off on getting herself ready with the dry suit and undergarment. I wanted to get in the 30/30 with the undergarment, make the adjustments to my BP/W and then wait for Sandy to get ready. The purpose of this was to see how comfortable I would be in this suit at the surface for a prolonged period. So that’s what we did. I donned my full gear, walked around a little bit, helped Sandy verify her gloves and neck seal were ok..you know, good dive buddy things.

Once she was ready we walked into the quarry and it was a little weird having my feet wet in a dry suit. It was also nice at the same time. I did my weight check and we went for a 20 minute dive. Surfaced and changed to a different wing, which I will explain below. Went back in and did an hour dive at 20 feet, surfaced with 700psi and did a weight check.

Review:

Surface: There is a major difference in how this suit performs on the surface. I know from experience what is like to be in the TLS350 in weather like this and your goal is to get ready and get in the water ASAP. With the 30/30 this was not the case, I was comfortable. I walked around fully geared up for a little bit, and then I would rest with my tank on the bed of the truck and watch Sandy get ready. She was sweating and once fully geared up she goes, let’s get in the water. I could have stayed like that all day. I spent much more time at the surface fully geared up than I would on any boat or shore dive on Bonaire and I was fine. I am extremely pleased on how comfortable it was.

Weighting: My next concern was how much weight was I going to need in the Caribbean diving with aluminum tanks in a dry suit. For reference: in my TLS350, Weezle Extreme+, hood, dry gloves and a Steel 100 tank that is 9lbs negative when full and 2.5 negative when empty I require 18lbs in fresh water to be properly weighted. For my first dive in the 30/30 I went in with just my BP/W which is 12lbs total, with a standard Aluminum 80, filled to 3000psi. I sank easily and I felt I was overweighed. None of the 12lbs was ditchable so after about 15-20 minutes I decided to go back and put on the 6lb BP with some trim pockets on the tank. Now I was diving with 10lbs total and at the end of the dive I was properly weighted with about 700psi remaining. So in the Caribbean I am looking at 14-15 lbs. If I bring my 12lb BP I am looking at 2-3lbs in my tank trim pockets, no weight belt or DUI Harness needed. With a dry suit and a 40lb wing I am not concerned with ditchable weight. Wasn’t quite sure what weight would be required when I started this, but I am content with 14-15lbs in the Caribbean.

Diving: My comfort level in the water was excellent from the start. I normally use my wing and dry suit for buoyancy, but only needed to use the dry suit at 20 feet. I had no problem reaching my tank valve or any other sort of restrictions; it felt like diving a wetsuit. From this point it’s like any other dry suit dive although the air moving around the suit was more noticeable. If I went feet up my arms and chest would tighten while my legs got full of air and warmer I might add. I never noticed this before in my TLS350, but that is probably because of the thicker undergarment. It is the same sensation when being vertical at the surface where your legs have some squeeze. There really is nothing else to report except that I was comfortable, felt a tad chilly towards the end of the hour dive…but on the surface my body was dry and warm….my hands and feet were colder. I was not sweating at any time, pre or post dive.

The Suit: The ankle seals are what I think are called Bell seals, you don’t trim them, they are a little weird to put on at first but no big deal. The seals are protected by the suit and when putting on my booties they also covered this area. I was concerned about shore diving entries/exits with the ankle seals, but they are covered. The dry suit zipper closes from shoulder to waist which to me is nicer than the other way around; it does not have another zipper system to protect it though. This would be nice to have; I’m not sure why it’s not standard. Possibly they wanted to keep the amount of material to a minimum. Speaking of material, the suit is made to be worn for light insulation so there is not a lot of room for a thick undergarment and this is a good thing. It is very streamlined. The suit does come with suspenders.

Final Thoughts: The purpose of trying the 30/30 was to see if it was worth purchasing for an upcoming trip to Bonaire in December. We do about 25-30 dives in a week while in Bonaire and while our computers saying everything is fine to go back in, sometimes our bodies say go take a nap. We get very tired towards the middle of the trip and getting in and out of that smelly cold wet suit is not fun. We have done this in the past and if possible would like to avoid it.
The demo suit included zip seals on the wrists and neck and I was impressed with them. That was my first time diving with zip seals. My only question now is when I order the DUI 30/30, is it going to be with or without the zip seals.

I hope this review helps.

Jason

Wow. Nice review, Jason (knock me over wih a stick :wink: ).

The water temps of 75-79df are pretty warm for the undies you (and especially your buddy in her Weezles e+) were wearing. Did you get hot at all in the water, or sweat much in the suit? Were you clammy at all after the dive?

Rick,

The last few months of dry suit diving have been somewhat frustrating because neither of us could find a undergarment to keep us warm. We tried layering DUI undies and I went with their 400G and still was chilly. We finally got the Weezle E+ and are comfortable. The weird thing is, even in water temps like we had yesterday it is comfortable. Sandy came up and had a lot of sweat...I mean a lot. It all wicked out to the outer layer and the drysuit, but she said she wasnt too warm at all.
I had no sweat at all...the drysuit was not wet on the inside either.
I was warm to the touch right out of the water after donning the undergarment so my chillyness may have been in my feets/hands.

The breathable aspect of the drysuit is the real deal. Even with the lighter undergarment on, with the ambient temperature on the surface I should have been sweating...but I was fine.
J

Jason - thanks for the review. I may have to see if my shop can get one in for me to demo. I'm thinking of getting one in anticipation of a trip on the Cayman Aggressor. I too am thinking that looking at 25-30 dives over 6 days is gonna require some extra exposure protection beyond a 3mm wetsuit.

Will be looking for your further impressions after you get back from Bonaire.

Ray

Hi Ray,

I did two more dives today on the suit. I was sold on the suit after Friday, but I thought this was cool to note. I went to haigh alone today, so I needed to find a buddy to go do some dives. It was overcast, in the 60's I think..maybe 70's.... found 4 people who wanted to hang out in the shallows and take it slow...perfect by my standards. They were all wearing wetsuits.

We did two dives and after each dive they were chilly enough to comment how they wanted out of their wetsuits. The best part came after the 2nd dive...they were all drying themselves off....and saying they were cold...I slipped out of the drysuit and garment and went right into my jeans and shirt....thanked them for letting my tag along...they thanked me for being their guide and I was on my way. It was nice not being wet....I cant wait till December.

I went to turn in my Demo suit tonight and was given the option to buy it....I am a new father. Both baby and father are doing fine.

Ok, here is my follow up report on the 30/30. I just returned from a week in Bonaire and diving the 30/30 exclusively. Sandy and I were both in the 30/30 and our experience was the same...it rocked. Plain and simple.

Water temp was 82 degrees and it hung around 85 degrees topside..mostly sunny, but an occasional early morning shower. I am going to try and get on DUI's website with my praises and a pic, but here it is in a nutshell.

--No fatigue
--No wet wetsuit
--No stench that goes along with a wetsuit. :wink:
--Did I mention no fatigue...naps are common for us on multiple days of multiple dives, but we had energy the entire trip..even at the end of the day/trip
--The 30/30 is more comfortable to wear on the surface gearing up than a full 3mm wetsuit..this was a surprise to me, at no point was I rushing to get in the water because of being too hot.

There are some drawbacks to this suit..

1) Everyone feels obligated to tell you that the water is 82 degrees and all you need is a shorty so why are you in a drysuit.

2) You hear, arent you hot in that thing numerous times.

3) Some locals laugh at you

4) You need to adopt a dry attitude when doing things topside..liking rinsing the gear off..gotta protect the undergarment..although in a few hours it would dry off anyway.

So we averaged 4-5 dives a day, had a great time, stayed dry/comfortable and the truck didnt smell of pee.... I'll post a pic of me in the suit later on today...and if I get on dui's site with my praises I'll post that link as well.

toodles.

Thanks for the update - gotta say the 30/30 would be ideal for me if it were not for the cost - maybe one day I'll trade my nex-gen in for a 30/30 ... the breathable fabric sounds like the best part.

I am familiar with the "drawbacks" 1-3 btw :wink:

Aloha, Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom