Dual Strobe Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wolverine

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am going to pick up the new Inon D2000W today and will be using it as a primary strobe (to be connected to the Ikelite via sync cord). I want to use my Inon D-180 as a slave but I am not certain how to setup up the two strobes together. I think the optical cord from the D180 can be connected the D2000W somehow. Anyone here knows how to do it??? :06:

Tim, I'm not familiar with how the ikelite sync cable connects to the D2000W (I'm not familiar with the D2000W, though I do have a D2000). But as far as I know, the D180 is not capable of any sort of connection other an optical one, which you utilize a fiber optic cable that connects to the slave sensor on the D180.

The D2000W will have a sync cord attachment, which will allow it to connect it to the Ikelite housing (which has a Nikonos sync plug). What I am trying to figure out is how to connect the D180 (which only has a optical sensor) to the D2000W.

Hmmm, usually the flash from your D2000W should be able to optically trigger your slave strobe. Not sure how that is done exactly but that's how some of my dive buddies did with their strobes. You might not need the optical cord at all as long as the slave strobe optical sensor can see the master strobe partially.
For me, I just hard wire both strobes to the same bulkhead.
One possible problem you might run into though when using 2 different strobes is the color temperature. Not sure if both strobes have the same color temp or not. If it is different enough, it might be kind of a pain sometimes.

I think operating the D180 in slave mode without a cable is hit and miss, depending on how far away the sensor is away from your primary strobe. I've tried at times and it doesn't always go off. If you can probably position the f/o cable with the reflector on the end of the cable near the primary strobe, if you can find an attachment point. That should work.

I have decided to go with slave mode triggered by the camera strobe. I figured I might as well use the extra optical-D cable from Inon I have in my bag with the D2000w. The W5 connector can fit 2 Optical-D cables so I do not need to pick up additional cables (which will set me back at least USD100). I hope the temperature of the strobes will be similar since the D2000w is just the latest version of the D180.

Now all I need is some water to test this in...

Back
Top Bottom