Dual Purpose HID Cannister Light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ArcticDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
I am buying a scuba HID cannister light for both diving and as a backup light for my snowmachine. For the snowmachine the light would be used in temperatures from -40F to +40F. I can't use an automotive light because the machine is pull start and has no electrical system. Dealer says the bulbs in it are special purpose AC lights. I am concerned about functionality and durability in the snowmachine environment.

I've seen web site ads for the HID's used on mountain bikes. But those aren't also dive lights. Given the costs involved I'd like to use one light for both applications.

Does anyone have experience using a HID in this application? If so; what brand, any problems?

Given how fragile most HID lights are, this strikes me as a bad idea. I wish you all the best though.

...but you might try www.niterider.com. They sell HIDs for both diving and mt. biking, but I don't know if they sell one that's good for both.

One designed for u/w may get too hot in air.

PerroneFord:
Given how fragile most HID lights are, this strikes me as a bad idea. I wish you all the best though.

Common misconception. I used to think that too. But I discovered that HIDs are used in bicycling, hiking, automobiles, ATVs, diving, medical, and so on. So, properly constructed they are pretty durable.

It is just that I haven't known anyone who has used one on a snowmachine. The combination of vibration, shock, temperature range, etc. may be too much for the light. But, given the cost of these buggers it is worthwhile trying to only buy one.

I don't mean to imply that the technology of HID is not fragile. Heck I had one in my sports car. But the ones associated with diving are usually more fragile or susceptibe to temperature changes.

Just a thought.

Don't know if you're a DIY'er or not, but I know people have used the HID's made by Trailtech for ATVs and turned them into canister lights by machining their own lightheads. (there are folks around the Dive light msn group who also sell machined lightheads for this purpose. )

http://groups.msn.com/Divelight/messages.msnw

Seems that if you were so inclined as to build your own this should work for both diving and for you snow machine.

Jake

Hi,

there are 2 different types of HID bulbs.
1) long cylindrical tube : quite fragile
2) looks almost like a halogene bulb: nearly not to destroy

you should look for a light that uses the 2. kind of bulbs as for example the 21W Brightstar Darkbuster.

Greetings, Michael

The 10w bulbs are usually fragile, a lot of our customers break several of them before switching to high-powered halogen systems or a 21w HID. The diameter of 10w hid bulbs are around 2 mm wide, so when you knock your light over you're looking for a $70-100 replacement.

My understanding of the durability issue is the Welsh Allen bulbs (I hope thats spelled right) are ok for diving though are quite fragile.. These are the one's used in a Halcyon can light system. If memory serves these were designed for medical use, meaning low impact applications for the most part.

The Brightstar bulbs were designed for automotive use and are far more durable. You would probably be better served with this type of bulb as it was designed for more abusive use. These are used (I believe) in Barry Millers lights and in the Salvo light systems.

I had one of the NightRider HID's it was great on land but not all that spectacular underwater... My guess, and this is only an assumption, is that by trying to fill both applications with one system you will probably find that what ever the solution you come up with will not be all that steller of a light in either of them.

I wonder if you could talk to Barry Miller and see if he could make you some type of custom light that might work as a dual application system?....

Good luck, I'd be interested in hearing what you come up with and after some use what your thoughts are as far as performance goes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom