Dst Or Fst First Stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gguthrey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Guys I don't know what to buy. I've got about 40 logged dives as an advance diver and will be doing my divemasters in Bali soon. Living and diving In Sydney

I'm really interested in tech amd cave diving but I've never tried so it my not be my thing. But I'm pretty sure it will be I'm loving going deep right now.

I've been reading up a lot about the FST first stage, and I've been informed that they are are better performance at deeper deeps and are more high end reg.
They also have a better flow rate which I really like.
So I'm extremely interested in them i usually dive around 30 to 40 metres.
I notice that hired rigs that I usually use are just **** down at those deeps.

DST on the other hand have a much better advantage for doubles and sidemounting because of the position of ports and the Turret. Can i still rout my hosing correctly wth the FST for sidemounting and doubles?

How good is the DST flow rate at deeps? And why is the DST or DS4 not the flag ship model as all the teck dives seem to swear by them?
You would think flow rate would be key for technical diving right?

So what I'm trying to say is If I do purchase FST first stage well I screw myself up a year or two down the track on buying second first stage to get into side mounting and doubles?

Thanks

Do you change them over much?

Separate reg sets. FST for recreational dives. XTX50 (DST) for sidemount. I recently retired the FST for an FSR which is lighter and much more suitable for travel. Routing is much better for doubles for the DST and is almost essential for sidemount.

I have US1, US4, DS4, DST and FSR. And they all breath the same!!!
The latest FSR is also 5th port compatible. BTW, the FSR is the only model equipped with ARCAP(removable valve seat). If you look after your reg then this feature might not be useful but.......
FST is sitting on no man land. It does not offer anything over DS4 or DST whatsoever except costing more.
DS4 for single or BM double. My DS4 is over 18yrs old.
Look after them properly and Apeks regs will last for many yrs. Learning how to service them is advantageous if you are into tec dive.

The only problem with Apeks is the COST.

Thanks a lot guys your mad my decision very easy for me. DST all the way

Cheers

Reactions: Pao
I used to own, boo hoo, some FSR and DS4 I could not tell the difference breathing off either. IMO the FSR routes better for single tank diving. Reliable, easy to self service and easy to get kits for. Agree, the FST is in no mans land, although "looks" like it could take a direct hit from a missile and still work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom