DSMB with valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A small thing, but it's best if you wrap the line around the boltsnap lest it unclips and you loose everything, or worse still the spool unwinds and snags below.
@Wibble, thanks for that nugget shown in your post.

You'll see in the middle pic that there's a second loop of line thru the eye of the bolt snap. In the top pic, I had taken things apart to show the add-on bungee anchoring (and for some reason re-clipped the bolt snap to the spool) so, correct, no line loops there.

Regardless, it's clear to me that your suggestion is far better than my method (had to close my eyes and mentally walk thru the pics to figure out how to do it!). And, if I read the posts after the pics correctly, there isn't a need to clip the bolt snap to the spool which eliminates the situation where the spool "levers" the bolt snap thumb tab opening the gate when the bolt snap pivots on the spool.

SB is great...thanks again for sharing.

PS. You're quite gracious to preface your comment with "A small thing".

[Edited to properly attribute method illustrated in referenced thread.

I have one of those DGX DSMBs. I'm a rec diver (assuming you are too based on your username) and after doing some research (a lot of good info/experience here on SB) and shopping the internet, the DGX DSMB best matched what I needed for my diving...basically the features listed on the website...all the other many DSMBs I checked out were missing a feature or two that I wanted. And as you noted, the price is great. My suggestion would be that you mull over what you'll need for the diving you'll do and find a DSMB that checks those boxes...maybe this DMSB, maybe another.

I wanted two colors to get visibility in various lighting conditions (I don't use DSMB colors to communicate messages to people topside). I went with five feet...long enough for the conditions I plan to dive in and small enough that I can reliably fully inflate it and stow it easily in a pocket.

I've deployed it five times...three by oral inflation and two by octo inflation. Each method worked fine to get it fully inflated.

I made two tweaks to it...I added a loop of bungee I ran thru the loop of webbing that holds the metal D-ring. I feed the bungee up thru the spool opening and back around the DSMB to secure the two together (an idea I got from an SB post...wish I could find it to give credit to the poster).

[Edit: Reshot/reposted top pic removing unintentionally misleading bolt snap placement...apologies].
View attachment 772338
View attachment 772259
Also, I cut an inch off the loop end of the velcro strap and mated it to the hook end of the velcro strap to create a tab that I could easily grab to unmate the velcro straps when wearing gloves.
View attachment 772261
Very helpful, thank you. Is the velcro strap necessary considering the DGX SMB has a bungee strap already sewn in? Is this just for redundancy or is there some other purpose? Thanks.

@Wibble, thanks for that nugget/link to the DIR-GUE post...and the term "spool knitting" is perfect.
Eeek, don’t want the wrath of the DIRists descending!

It’s the way I learned to knit the line after various incidents where the spool escaped. Spool bondage - yay!

Be careful when clipping the bolt snap to the spool and letting it bounce up and down with the waves on the surface. Use a cave-style twist to hold it:

Eeek, don’t want the wrath of the DIRists descending!
Lol...edited my post to remove reference to those-that-shall-remain-unnamed. Maybe they haven't noticed...it's been nice knowing you..lol.

Is the velcro strap necessary considering the DGX SMB has a bungee strap already sewn in? Is this just for redundancy or is there some other purpose?
I was about to reply "I imagine for redundancy" until I remembered that no one on SB ever guesses or makes unsubstantiated assertions :wink:.

However the DGX website rescued me:
"The design includes two velcro straps, plus a bungee loop, at the bottom to secure a tidy compact roll for storage and easy deployment."​
So both are for storage...I'd call that redundancy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom