Info Dslr to mirrorless migration paths

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interceptor121

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score

Corrobortes what I have been seeing but interested in view points

How do you feel about the M4:3 conclusions in the report?

@davehick

Your thoughts?

@davehick

Your thoughts?
I think for someone who claims to have no opinions, he ( @Interceptor121 ) sure has a lot of uninformed ones. He doesn't know jack about Nikon, Cannon, Olympus but boy can he read a spec sheet! And apparently two points on a DXO rating table are the full spread between Gold and Garbage.

Needless to say, I was not informed or educated by this needless screed of measurebatement.

I think that Mirrorless has some great features and usability improvements over DSLR cameras, but they don't take better images. Photographers do that, not cameras or gear. Mirrorless is a new tool that have some improvements over the old tools, and people who are starting fresh are probably better served by the new gear. Existing photographer comfortable with their existing gear will continue to produce great images with the gear they are familiar with.

On that point, one of the things that Nikon has done a superior job with is providing a migration path between old and new. There is an excellent path forward from F-mount lenses, ports, etc, to their new Z-mount cameras. I've made this transition myself, and to date have been compelled to buy exactly One new Z-mount lens, the 24-50z to pair with a WWL-C. Everything else I still dive with every week has come forward from my D300, D800, and D850.

There is an excellent path forward from F-mount lenses, ports, etc, to their new Z-mount cameras.
Ehhh, kinda, sorta, maybe, so long as you're on FF. If you're a D500 user seeking to migrate to Z50, the Tokina 10-17mm uses screw drive autofocus, and AF-D lenses have been left behind. Technically you can use the FF 8-15mm, but it's massively more expensive.

I have gone from Nikon D800 to Nikon Z8. Mirrorless advantages. Superior lenses: the kit lenses now are F4 vs variable aperture. The mirrorless shoot fine video, which I have not tried. And the Z8 shoots great autofocus and at pretty low light.

But my first DSLR was a 16 mp crop sensor and it took great shots. Unless you are blowing photos up and printing them and then pixel peeping….. But the new systems are really nice. I look at some of my old photos, and they are just great.

Ehhh, kinda, sorta, maybe, so long as you're on FF. If you're a D500 user seeking to migrate to Z50, the Tokina 10-17mm uses screw drive autofocus, and AF-D lenses have been left behind. Technically you can use the FF 8-15mm, but it's massively more expensive.
I was sad to not bring forward my Sigma 15mm. But the WWL-C covers a lot of the same range, focusing from right up to the glass for CFWA, which is a lot of what I used the Sigma 15 FE for. I can still shoot the D850 is needed or buy an 8-15mm. (Which is F-mount BTW)

I know it's F-mount, but it has a focusing motor, so it works with the FTZ adapter, unlike the F-mount version of the Tokina 10-17mm. I really wonder why they made it like that, considering that the EF-mount version has its own focusing motor.
The older generation of lenses uses a "screw autofocus motor", and not an "ultrasonic motor". The screw focus lenses are not supported by the FTZ adapters, so we lose the Sigma 15, Tokina 10-17, and similar lenses. Apparently, it is possible to create an adapter that can drive a screw motor lens but there is not such a thing available for Nikon today.

I think the Tokina 10-17 is a native crop lens and not work so great on a FF high-res camera. The Sigma 15 was always FF lens, and it was awesome on the D800, D850, etc.

The older generation of lenses uses a "screw autofocus motor", and not an "ultrasonic motor". The screw focus lenses are not supported by the FTZ adapters, so we lose the Sigma 15, Tokina 10-17, and similar lenses. Apparently, it is possible to create an adapter that can drive a screw motor lens but there is not such a thing available for Nikon today.
I know all that; my point is, the Tokina 10-17mm exists in two mounts - Nikon F and Canon EF. Canon's EF mount does not have a provision for camera-driven autofocus (i.e. autofocus motor in camera body driving lens focusing elements via a screwdriver coupling), and thus the Canon version of the lens includes an internal focusing motor, but the Nikon F version omits it. Is it just cost-cutting on the part of Tokina? Or a legacy holdover from the previous generation of this lens that used Pentax K-mount, which, as I understand it, only uses a screw drive for lens autofocus?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom