DSLR Survey (Housings)

What housing do you use?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice!!! What I have learned?
Apparently half of DSLR shooters go plastic housings... most of them going with Ikelite which is of course the oldest of the acrylic manufacturers. The other half seems happy with aluminum houses, and is well divided among the main makers (aquatica, sea&sea, subal and apparently seacam)
I expected more Nexus people after the first responses, and more Fantaseas as well, but by some reason they didn't show up.

I want to see if the new acrylic housing from Sea&Sea can shake up this market a little bit and pushes Ikelite into reviewing their strategy and/or technology!
Another guess is if someone makes housings for the new Sony DSLRs might take a lead as Sony participation in DSLRs underwater seems a bit mined by the lack of housings...

Thanks guys!!!

Nice!!! What I have learned?
Apparently half of DSLR shooters go plastic housings... most of them going with Ikelite which is of course the oldest of the acrylic manufacturers. The other half seems happy with aluminum houses, and is well divided among the main makers (aquatica, sea&sea, subal and apparently seacam)
I expected more Nexus people after the first responses, and more Fantaseas as well, but by some reason they didn't show up.

I want to see if the new acrylic housing from Sea&Sea can shake up this market a little bit and pushes Ikelite into reviewing their strategy and/or technology!
Another guess is if someone makes housings for the new Sony DSLRs might take a lead as Sony participation in DSLRs underwater seems a bit mined by the lack of housings...

Thanks guys!!!

Hi Mariozi,

Will the new acrylic housings be on par with the prices of Ikelite and offer the same TTL connection with Ikelite strobes?

I believe that there are few reasons why alot of people are using Ikelite:
1. Cost of Housings. I think this is the biggest factor especially when people are buying their first
2. Range of models available. Ikelite has a huge range of housings for alot of camera brands and models. I had a quick look at Sea and Sea and they only had a limited range.
3. Ikelite has been around for years so alot people would have had bits and pieces left over from older setups which can be still used.

I also believe that Ikelite make housings for Sony.

I agree whole heartly about the need for Ikelite to get a shake up and move forward especially with technology. The response of "we been making this for 30 years and we dont see the need to change" which I have recieved on several occasions from Ikelite doesnt give me faith that they are into advancing their housings.

All in all, housings are alot of money for a watertight box to let you take. I really can't see the money in them and especially in the high end.

Regards Aussie

Yeah Aussie, exactly what I think... let's see.
I just heard from a friend that we have like half-a-dozen good photographers in Brazil moving (some back) to Sea&Sea after a short trip with Aquatica.
Back home the supply of housings is bad for every brand, including Ike, so it is a pretty flat picture and you can analyze the housings without the dealer factor.

Alcina, you responded both Ikelite and Subal.
How is that? Don't you find a little bit of a hassle to keep 2 systems with completely different ports to say the east?

I don't shoot the ikelite anymore. It's for my film slr cameras.

But I had one, shot it, loved it, thought it was great bang for buck.

Still have it and all the bits, including a camera body and a couple of lenses - really should get around to selling it. Also have at least three Ike pre-digital strobes, including the monster 150!

I really love the housing but I was to start over the pricing and technology from Aquatica is hard to beat especially with the current Canadian exchange rate.

I think AussieByron hit it on the head with cost. I love Subal housings: they are compact and superbly engineered, and the buoyancy is perfect for me. The ports are glass, not acrylic. That said, they are pricey.

My dive buddy uses Ikelite housings, so we have a chance to compare rigs. One feature I like on the Ikelite housings are the flash adjustment buttons on the rear housing cover. Nice for photographing in temperate water with bulky gloves.

Cheers,

Dan

A big factor in selecting a housing is cost for a lot of folks. From that standpoint this survey may be slanted.

Well price is a very important aspect, and it shows clearly that, about half of the people go Ike.
Service and parts availability are also factors and varies from place to place... I guess this is good as an overall look.

Back
Top Bottom