DSLR Snorkeling Pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TN Traveler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Lately we have been doing a lot of snorkeling at the Fredricksted Pier with friends and I have been taking my DSLR (Sony A-57/65 in Ikelite Housing) to try and get some pictures. I have used both my 18-30 zoom and 100mm macro - all with the same results.

First attempts were using no filter - everything too blue
Next attempts were using a magenta filter - still too blue
next attempts were using a #25 red filter - too red.

Even working these in either Photoshop Elements or LightRoom i have been unable to get acceptable pictures.

Any suggestions on something else to try.

I have been reading about the "Magic Filter" but hate to spend that amount of $$$ without some input from someone who has actually used it and had success.

Thanks for any input

If you're snorkeling, you probably don't want a filter. There isn't enough color filtered out by the water until you get at least a little depth to warrant a filter. Try using a grey card to manually set your white balance instead.

That "magic filter" looks like a gimmick to me. It's a piece of colored plastic or glass that goes on your lens. The same as any other filter. There's nothing unique going on there. Red filters should be used at depth in blue water (carribean, atlantic, etc). Magenta should be used at depth in green water (gulf of mexico, rivers, etc where algae grows). No filter in shallower water.

Another option is to use artificial lights (e.g strobes or flashes). Do not combine artificial light with filters.

Neither the lens or the camera has any bearing on the colour. What are you using for lights? And have you made any effort to set your white balance?

These are the keys to accurate colour. Filters won't do much good in shallow depths.

As for Photoshop and Lightroom, that should be a simple adjustment so that may just be a learning curve thing.

Can you post an image or two so we can see what your facing?

I am not using my DS160 Strobes - entry from a rocky shoreline is tough enough with just the DSLR housing.- besides, since most of the shots are taken at 6-12 feet underwater, the strobes are not effective.

Looking at the color curves - with no filter, the blues overpower everything between the clear water with sand and light colored rocks and the blue sky,

My wife shoots a GoPro with a snorkeling filter and gets good pictures. I can use an older SeaLife set on "snorkel" and it works OK (giving me "red" tinted picture above water but easily adjusted underwater pictures).

I feel like there is some sort of filter I can add to the DSLR to achieve the same results - that can then, with modest tweaking, get me good pictures.

You can get an idea of how blue the water is by my avatar. The seahorse was shot diving in 25 ft of water, with Strobes and took little more than cropping.

Keep the ideas coming.

Thanks

I am not using my DS160 Strobes - entry from a rocky shoreline is tough enough with just the DSLR housing.- besides, since most of the shots are taken at 6-12 feet underwater, the strobes are not effective

Keep the ideas coming.

Well, the strobes will always help, although you're correct that on a bright, sunny day, it may be tough to "over power" the sun.

So that leaves setting your white balance. I'm not familiar with that camera, but i imagine there's a simple way to set it. It may be as simple as shooting a patch of sand while holding a certain button.

Filters can only do so much.

The reason I suggesting you post an image is that was going to download it and fiddle in Photoshop. There's isn't much that can't be done in that software. I dive in green water a lot and I can completely alter that that suit my mood...

I tried to upload a RAW file from yesterday - (red, red, red) but it is too large (>10 mb).

Unlikely RAW is supported for uploads....

Guess I will try manually setting the white balance, with no filter next. As it turns out, it is fairly easy - just never needed it before.

I have Lightroom (V4) and PhotoShop Elements 2019 on this computer in St Croix.
Photoshop is on my computer in Knoxville. I looked at Capture One Express several years ago and did not see any added value - but maybe I should look again.

I guess I need to find my old white slate to use for WB. Have not used it since shooting the Sony with TTL Strobes (I guess I have gotten a little lazy).:wink:

Back
Top Bottom