DSLR Focus Lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone, really helpful info.

gudge, thanks for the link about the bulb, that makes a big difference. Still a bit put off by the problems people have had. However hate the nano being twice as heavy (and big) but then it does seem v. reliable...

If anyone reading this uses the hartenberger mini electronic - whats it like??

mjh have a good trip.

I shoot a D200 in a Sea & Sea housing. During my search for a good focus light, I looked closly at the hartenberger (just too expensive) and the fisheye (too expensive and not good reliability history) in addition to many others.

important issues for me were reliability (including bulb life), cost and light output. I settled on duel UK Mini Q40 eLED with diffusers for the 60mm and my UK Light Canon with diffuser for some W/A and 105mm VR. It's a bit bulky, but works great, puts out a ton of light, has no hot spot with a diffuser, and uses rechargable C cell batteries.

the UK Q40s also have no hot spot when used with diffusers, cost about $20 apiece, use rechargable AAs, are small and light and last forever on a charge. with these options avialable, I couldn't justify several hundred dollars for another less reliable light.

I used to use the light cannon but the cramps in my fingers after a week of diving was too much. Went and bought the Nocturnal Lights focus light instead. Lighter and wide beam.

How do you find using a focus light? I tried one from Ike for about 2 dives when I first started but stopped using it because it was such a pain. A wider beam would work for me I think. I've been using a hand held light for late afternoon or night dives, luckily it's being held by a spotter most of the time...:D

Diver Dennis:
.............. luckily it's being held by a spotter most of the time...:D

I strap my Mini Q 40 to a bicycle glove as shown for "hands free" operation :wink:

Attachments

• q 40 & rig.JPG
    q 40 & rig.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 52
I also have the fisheye. I have had one battery go bad and 2 lights over the past 200 dives with my old digital camera. However I have yet mounted on my DSLR and dont think that I will. Probably I will use something a little smaller. Most of my friends that have a DSLR use something similar to a pen light for focus in Macro/Micro situations.

I just got the Nano and like it more and more each time. Wide beam, 4 power settings and a lot of minor benefits that just seem to popup that are kewl. Expensive, yup, but so far, no regrets....

I used Backscatter for comparison reference material which was helpful, then just went and did it.
I doubt that I would use it as a "Dive Light" primary, as the beam seems wide, but not deep, doesn't seem to go as far as the QL lites.
Very happy with the Nano though.... no weight/bulk problems although it looks ungawdly on the Oly 4040 Tetra housing... heheh.. but UW it all looks the same.
Hope that helps...

Back
Top Bottom