DSLR confused

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shellbackdiver1:
iTTL, eTTL...whats the difference, advantage, disadvantage? UW camera housing not being compatable certain strobes? Cracking codes? Is a Subal UW that much better then say a Sea and Sea.

I can see justification for the increase cost of the body but why is the UW housing cost more then the D70 or 350D?

Thanks

eTTL, iTTL are both ways to control flash using the meter in camera, and through the lens. eTTL is the Canon version, iTTL is the nikon. They are NOT compatable with one another.

While many UW photographers control the flash in manual mode, that is primarily because very few systems to date offer flash TTL control.

As more manufactures make these tools available, you will see a lot of people using them. Why? Because they work great. They also provide a very easy way to dial exposure compensation generally on or attached to the housing, and when you change the aperture on the camera, guess what, you are changing the output of the flash.

I think a popular misconception is that if you are using Flash TTL, you are not shooting in manual mode. That is incorrect, and IMO it's much easier to have the flash in sync with the aperture without having to change flash output in a seperate step. Need a bit more or less flash, than dial that in with the flash exposure compensation in 1/3 steps. IMO an invaluable tool that I use topside in most situations.

As for price, you really have to look at your budget, and the entire system package. I just priced out a package for the D200. The Ike package with 8" dome port was around $1800 (no strobe). I was really hoping the Sea&Sea alum housing would come in close, but with iTTL, and an 8" dome port, the cost was around $4000.

I think I can live with IKE for the difference in cost even if alum housing owners have been very quick to point out that they believe Ike to be an inferior system.

I think it also has a lot to do with service, and how much you will be using the system. In my case I only dive a couple times a year where photography is worthwhile UW, so that enters into the decision making.

As for why does a D200 housing cost more than the D70, well that is based on the manufacture. For example the Sea&Sea D200 housing is ALL ALUM, vs. the part polycarbonate D50 housing, and it and has some features that the D50 housing does not. In the case of Ike, it's just that the D200 is new, and in demand, but the price difference is not that much.

IMO if you can get a D200, do so. It it a LOT more camera then anything out there under $2k, and rivals the D2x in most aspects. Build quality, focus system, speed, and most other things are more like a pro camera than it's plastic counterparts. I also would say that the D50's lack of command dials, and lack of the CF media are deal breakers compared to the D70s.

All of the camera's you mention are very capable of producing great results. It's all about budget, and what your end goals are.. which BTW, you did not indicate?

Keep in mind that equipment is a means to an end, and the best camera in the world is generally the one you have with you when the opportunity presents! I know people who have large amounts of gear, but don't like to carry it around... well, that is rather pointless! IMO your better off with an S80 that you are willing to carry, than with a room full of glass sitting at home. I just carry a camera with me most of the time, and often, it's a DSLR, and a couple of lenses, but sometimes it's my S70.

Back
Top Bottom