DSLR confused

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shellbackdiver1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Lets start off by saying that I am new underwater photographer. It appears that I enjoy this type of activity and have no plans to give it up. When I like to do something I go all out.

I currently have a Canon S80, sea & sea YS25DX strobe and Fisheye video light. Gonna give that to my dive buddy/GF.:). Unless somebody offers me the right price.

Searching all the websites concerning DSLR has put me into data overload. iTTL, eTTL...whats the difference, advantage, disadvantage? UW camera housing not being compatable certain strobes? Cracking codes? Is a Subal UW that much better then say a Sea and Sea.

At this point I guess I like the Canon 350D (rebel XT) with sea and sea housing and dual YS 90 strobes. 20D is also appealing. Nikon 200 is cool as well, I can see justification for the increase cost of the body but why is the UW housing cost more then the D70 or 350D?

Thanks

shellbackdiver1:
20D is also appealing. Nikon 200 is cool as well, I can see justification for the increase cost of the body but why is the UW housing cost more then the D70 or 350D?

Thanks

Very simple really...if you can afford buy a Nikon 200 or Canon 20D then they're banking that on the fact that you will be willing to spend more on a housing. And or maybe they're making up for the losts to the lower end DSLR housing market.

As for myself a SLR user with a collection of Nikon lenses, I would start with the low cost Nikon D50 and housing. Other than the higher pixel of the D200 10mp vs the 6mp of the D50, I do not see a giant leap between the D50,D70 and the D200 except for the price in cameras and housings. The D50 has the latest electronics built in.

Now with the Nikon D2X, that's a different story, with a larger viewfinder and 12mp it also comes with a much larger price. If you have the cash (which I do not) the D2X is the way to go. Getting a D50 is the most low cost effective way to break into an U/W DSLR, Learn this technology until you can save up for the D2X (hope that the prices drop) or the latest camera that comes out.

PLus the Olympus E-330 8mp live view DSLR will turn this market upside down and in the right hands the Point and Shoot cameras is still hard to beat.

iTTL, eTTL is just another gimmick, shoot in manual mode by varying the aperture/shutter etc.

OK, you guys can start throwing the rocks now!

Good advise from f3nikon, except that I'd get the D70s instead of the D50 for underwater use :D :D :D

Karl

kdietz:
Good advise from f3nikon, except that I'd get the D70s instead of the D50 for underwater use :D :D :D

Karl

Good point... I'll buy that because the D70 is not that much more than the D50s and there are most likely more used, but proven D70 housings and cameras out there since they have been around much longer. Thanks for bringing that up.

I'd go canon, but I also have 8 EOS series len's already.

funny thing is no matter how much you spend it's the skill that gets the shot (from a guy who has a NIKONOS RS sitting on my book shelf....)

Not to mention the D50 does not, I believe, use compact flash. But I'm a Canon user, what do I know? :)

This has not been the first time ive been told to buy the Nikon D50/70 or 200. And I do have to agree that often its not the camera that makes the picture. Thanks for the advice.

Concerning the Oly 330....I got a chance to play with one for alittle while. Nice camera and easy to use. Then there is the issue with the flash and flash connections. Also I see only Olympus has a housing the camera. Surely Ikelite with make a housing for it, sea and sea probably will not and rest are more then what im willing to spend unless there is the proper justification.

I would pick D70s over D50 as well for a few reasons. CF card is cheaper and you can get larger capacity. Ergonomics wise especially for underwater use, two dials are definitely better than one dial. You are going to be relatively clumpsy with gloves etc underwater so the easier it is to change shutterspeed, f-stop etc, the better it is. There are also so many more housing options for D70s. When you buy housing, lenses, ports, strobes, the difference of cost of d70s vs d50 is just a small portion of the package so unless money is incredibly tight, I would try to get D70s. Of course if you can afford it, D200 would be nice. 10mp vs 6mp, you can argue about the significance of that but for me, CAM1000 autofocus in D200 is quite an improvement over CAM900 in D70s. Since I hate to do anything with manual focusing, the better the AF system, the better the camera it is for me.
In general, I think Nikon AF is better than Canon in low light low contrast situation. This is definitely one area that D70s is better than Canon 20D and 350D. Of course a good focus light will solve that problem but sometimes focus light will definitely scare away those skittish critters. I don't mean to say that 20D is terrible in that respect but Nikon certainly make my life easier in such tricky situation.
I have not paid much attention to Olympus dSLR line as I think the lens option is still a bit limited and quite expensive and housing option is not exactly great either. Ever since I switch to dSLR, I have to admit that I don't really miss the live view via LCD monitor at all as it usually added quite a bit of delay sometimes when I try to compose (at least that was the case with C5050). Until I need progressive lens for my eyesight, I think I will happily stay with viewfinder and viewfinder magnifier :)
I would ignore iTTL vs eTTL thing. The main benefit of Nikon iTTL over Canon eTTL is Nikon creative lighting system which is quite nice if you have multiple SB800/SB600 but it is no good for underwater use anyhow.

You really can't go too wrong with the D70 or D200 or 20D or 350 or 5D or D2X. If you have lenses already that might influence you. Check on customer service in your area - that was a killer for Nikon here. All have lots of support around the place.

All will perform admirably...and there's always going to be something bigger, badder, better coming out next month!

Make no mistake, once you dont own several lenses.
Lenses are the point in all kinds of photography, uw is the same.
Go Nikon is best fitted with them, and have no problem of compatibility between bodies to worry.
Also go aluminium... Sea&sea, Aquatica and Subal seems to be the most avaiable.
My choice was a Nikon D50 w/ S&Ss DX-D50, I like it.

Best

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom