DSLR Base Bracket - Mounting Bolts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetLens

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Managed to get to Indonesia without the two mounting bolts for the tray. Have plenty of 1/4-20 spare bolts, but it turns out the housing is not threaded for 1/4-20. What thread size are the bolts so that I can either have someone pick up a in a hardware store (good luck finding inch threads!) or have someone bring a couple spares (others on our trip have not left yet). Also, what length given that I will not have the plastic spacers?

Thanks, Jean. Have someone that will be stopping by a hardware store and will bring an assortment of 12-24 screws. Managing to get along by using the 1/4-20 thread on top of the housing. Attached a 1" ball and a ULCS triple clamp that allows attaching both strobes. Hope the threaded insert can take the strain - trying to baby it. I like the compactness of this set-up much better than the wide base bracket. Works for macro anyway. Again, thanks.

If I can be of any help getting them for you, let me know. Shoot me a PM for my phone number. I can cut the bolts to size or make spacers if you need them. I am sure you know this but be sure to tell them get stainless or at least brass. Burke Brothers hardware by the fairgrounds has the best selection in town.

Found the film can with the bolts and spacers exactly where I put it - on my bench, ready to pack... Luckily, another Ike housing user brought along spares that I was able to use. The person stopping at the hardware store could not find 12-24 screws at all (he's from a town just west of Toronto, Ont.). After shooting a lot of macro, I really liked the set-up using the 1" ball and a triple clamp on top of the housing. I was wary using this set-up while on Pindito as we were diving off of inflatables - the gear took a lot of abuse and I'm not sure the threads on top of the housing would have held up. Anyway, got through the trip with virtually no housing problems.

One follow-up note. I have gone to several home centers and a half-dozen well stocked hardware stores and have been unable to find ANY 12-24 screws. Ike dealer David Haas sent me a backup set, but it would still be nice to know you could find replacement hardware for something simple like these screws... I know you all have better checklists and are more disciplined than me, but be aware... you are not going to find these screws locally.

I agree that there not easy to find. I found some emergency brass ones at a local hardware store. Try Fastenel or Granger or special order them off the Internet.

I have a back-up set now. I tried finding more just to see what the availablility was. I could not even find brass 12-24 and we've got a well-stocked hardware store in town. I was just putting out the information that these screws are not something you are likely to be able to pick up while traveling. Recommendation to others would be to get an extra set somewhere along the line and add it to your kit.

Just remembered another place in town to check. Call Wilders, they are an industrial supplier of screws, nuts, bolts and the like on the north east side of town.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom