dSLR barebones or 5050 Full setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lundysd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I've been a land photographer for some time now, and I'm considering upgrading my Nikon F100 to a digital SLR for underwater work. Right now I can't afford a full dSLR setup, just the camera and the body. I can, however, afford a full non-slr setup, like a used 5050 with all the goodies.

I know the SLR will provide MUCH better images eventually, but am I justified in buying the body only and living without strobes for some time (6 months to a year)? Is this futile, or can I get decent shots in clear blue water? Thanks

Scott

I'd go for the other set up and get the dslr once I can get the core bits:
housing
tray
arm
strobe
synch cord
primary lens
port

I wouldn't bother if I couldn't have a set up that would work for me instead of against me.

I say get an Oly8080 full setup. It's not much more than the 5050 and the shots it takes are really good. Also you can switch macro modes underwater with the Ike housing. Only thing is, the shutter lag can be a drag...it's about 10 seconds using RAW format. But, you can also change from RAW to JPEG with ease underwater.

I had the 8080 and only sold it cause Hubster upgraded to a Nikon D2X and gave me his old camera. Which I love, but it significantly more hassle than the 8080 was...not to mention the housing weighs a ton topside! Whoo golly. It's fine underwater but waiting on the dive deck is a pain!

dSLR - no question about it..... the digitalDelay is a KILLER!!!! all you get is pictures of fish butts. ever notice how most pictures of things underwater are of things that DON'T move? digitalDelay! with a dSLR you at least have a chance of getting something!

the digitalDelay is a KILLER!!!! all you get is pictures of fish butts.

Strange, I've been shooting a C5050 for 2+ years, I seem to have gotten more than fish butts. I guess the delay is a killer if you're used to a DSLR already based on some people I've talked to. People I know who have gone from a PnS to a DSLR have always commented on how responsive the DSLR seems; I went from a Canon S50 to a C5050, I wasn't used to a DSLR, so delay wasn't a big deal to me. I get my share of fish butts, I just don't worry about it because its digital and it doesn't cost me anything to delete the picture, and I dive enought that I know I'll eventually get another chance at a shot.

I like my C5050, I think its a good camera, and there is something to be said for being able to wet mount lenses. If you get a TTL strobe and it can be reused with the F100, that could be a good way to go - you'll always have the C5050 as a backup once you finally get the underwater housing for the F100, and the C5050 package would have some reuse for you. If you're determined to get a housing for the F100, the real question is whether you have an immediate need to shoot something now, and how long it will take you to save for the F100. If you have a big trip next week, and don't have an underwater setup right now, go with the C5050. If you're just looking to shoot local stuff that you see all the time, how long do you have to wait, and how much longer will you have to wait if you buy the C5050? If you're worried about shot quality, I know I've labeled my shots that were taken with a C5050, Sea Yoda is a C5050 user, Alcina was and is(?), and how many others??? You can get excellent shots with a C5050, it just takes getting used to.

I say get an Oly8080 full setup...

One friend of mine is ditching his 8080, because he's seen my 5050 setup and thinks the 8080 is more trouble than its worth. He's looking to "downgrade" as it happens, and recently borrowed an A520 from me to go to the Caribbean. Just a for what its worth...I've seen excellent shots taken by my buddy with his 8080, he just thought it was bulky and a major hassle. It was bulkier than my Patima aluminum housing, but not quite as heavy, and the Olympus didn't allow for 67mm wet mount lenses. Of course, some people think the little point and shoots are too bulky - you're probably not one of those people if you're going for a DSLR housing.

lundysd:
I've been a land photographer for some time now, and I'm considering upgrading my Nikon F100 to a digital SLR for underwater work. Right now I can't afford a full dSLR setup, just the camera and the body. I can, however, afford a full non-slr setup, like a used 5050 with all the goodies.
=================================
To me it all comes down to cost, which I realize may not be as big an issue for you. I have a 5050, Ike housing and DS 125 strobe. It's just what I need and gets me some great shots. I am the limiting factor.

If I dove a lot more and could afford the DSLR I'd probably go that route. But for me the 5050 is a good choice.

'Slogger

Another vote for a DSLR. If you are planning on going that route in time the money you spend on a PnS setup is just money down the drain (even if Ebay can help recoup some of that back).

The quality difference between DSRL and PnS is big. The shooting experience is also much less desirable with a PnS IMO. I just don't get the silky tones or nearly as good of quality with my S70 even if it produces very nice results for what it is.

You can pick up an Ikelite SS200 for around $200 on ebay. That's a $900 strobe new just a few months ago (Ike Discontinued it in favor of the DS200). You can get a 100/150 IKE for even less. They are on ebay all the time, and often include brackets, cords, and chargers.

Not sure what body you are looking at, but I'm about to get a D200. My first body was a D1x, and I would love to get that camera UW, but unfortunately new housings were 5K when they were introduced, and used they are still as much as 3K IF you can even find them.

I plan on getting the D200 UW. It's going to be expensive, but over time I think it will be worthwhile.

There are some other expenses when going with a more expensive setup, like more expensive insurance. Ports are also an expense, and the only downside of the DSLR vs. the PnS is it's a not do everything camera UW. IOW's choose wide, standard, or macro on a given dive.

Good luck with the choice.

I went dSLR first (Cannon d Rebel) and frankly underestimated the cost. You are going to want at least one strobe if not two, arms, cables, ports, etc. The earlier advice to go for the point and shoot and buy the strobes, arms, etc. is probably good. You'll have to sell the camera and the housing on ebay or such, but you can get started. BTW, make sure whatever you get can shoot in raw.

Back
Top Bottom